Sunday, June 26, 2016

Faithful Love


young-love-1

Israel had to be reminded of God's unyielding love continuously. Things have not changed in this arena in our fickle trust in God's promises. In Psalm 136 each promise fulfilled is followed by the words, "His faithful love endures forever." Each day, if we open our eyes, we can witness over and over again His faithfulness. Consider,

The morning sunlight.
His faithful love endures forever.

The melodies of song birds.
His faithful love endures forever.

The fresh, cool air of morning.
His faithful love endures forever.

The smell of fresh falling rain.
His faithful love endures forever.

The gentle purr of a kitten as it rubs lovingly against your arm.
His faithful love endures forever.

A baby's first word.
His faithful love endures forever.

Snowfall in the mountains.
His faithful love endures forever.

A tender love's first kiss.
His faithful love endures forever.

The promise of tomorrow.
His faithful love endures forever.


If we recount from our early years the same faithfulness and insert names, dates, places and what not into the statements we would be so flabbergasted by how many blessings we do have each day and fail to recognize. We are too busy looking for more that we fail to see what is right before our eyes.

Yesterday my day took a different turn as I learned of the passing of a 32 years old young friend who died unexpectedly in his home on Father's Day. I knew very little about him personally except I'd not seen his wife looking so healthy and happier in the short years of their marriage than I have seen her  in such a long time. I visited with them briefly a couple of weeks ago, and the smiles on their faces radiated and lit up the room from the love within. I remember thinking how wonderful it was to see them so happy. It carried me through the remainder of my day.

His celebration of life was yesterday, and I learned more about this gentle man and the place he held in the hearts of those who were privileged to know him. Through tear-filled eyes his wife remarked, "If you didn't know you, you missed out." What an amazing statement! She also said he loved kids, and he really loved his mama. These two young people shared a rare love, and in three short years they lived a lifetime! She told me, "He made me happy," and the proof of the statement was written all over  her face.

While my heart breaks for such a profound loss for all of us, for their community, I feel he touched more souls for Christ in his love for others and joy of living than most do. They shared a lifetime of love in a blink of time, then God called him home. I have lived almost 66 years, and I have never experienced a glimpse of what they shared.

My heart cries for my young friend as she gathers the courage to go on, but I know she will, because she has strength of character and so much love to give a hurting world. She now has a double portion of love to share with those around her, because she has her husband's love to keep her going.

His faithful love endures forever!



No comments:

Post a Comment