Saturday, December 3, 2016

Good News!





Christmas is a time of wonder and renewed vision. It is also a time when the suicide rate hits the highest peak for those who wrestle with depression and overwhelming and excruciatingly relentless pain from guilt and shame. Although I love the season, the festivities, and the wonderful food prepared by loving friends and family, it is a very difficult time for me. As I have shared with you before, I keep my little life-like Christmas tress up all year round to remind me of precious memories. I have a snowman tea set given to me by my daughter displayed proudly in my living/dining area, and my snowman and Demdaco angel collection brighten my living room. My memories and treasured gifts from friends and family.

Today, as almost every day of this year, with the exception of Sundays, I am pressed for time in getting to one appointment or another. My Wednesdays and Saturdays are generally my busiest days recently, but the crowded schedule has very little to do Christmas shopping, rather the time is spent on practical matters of life. Still, my early morning hours must be spent in Bible study and prayer, otherwise my life would fade away into obscurity. I need Christ's strength in everything I do, and I need that boost of energy and revival that comes from reading God's Word every day.

I am now entering the travels of Timothy, but I have had such a pressing schedule this week that rather than go forward, I wanted to back track to the book of Philippians for precious morsels of wisdom I need so badly right now. Since Thanksgiving I have experienced the tragic loss of a dear friend whom I had hoped to see while home in Virginia this Christmas; I have learned of a dear friend's loss of her mother after a valiant battle with cancer; and my personal struggle with the affects of head trauma and a ridiculous work load that grows daily. Both my friend and my friend's mother are now resting safely and peacefully in the arms of Jesus, as are my parents who passed away during the Christmas season years ago. Still, the loss of my parents remains fresh in my heart, especially now, but the joy I feel in the knowledge that they are with Jesus is a tremendous comfort to my soul. What better time for a loved one to pass into the presence of God.

I want to share with you the wisdom I gleaned from my study of Philippians. The book was written by Paul while he was imprisoned in Rome for spreading the Good News of Jesus Christ. He was writing to the church praising their steadfastness in living their faith and openly sharing God's word of life through Christ Jesus. He urges the church to continue to agree with each other, love each other, and to be of one mind and purpose. He encourages them to:

"Do everything without complaining and arguing...." (2:14)

"Live clean, innocent lives as children of God, shining like bright lights." (2:15)

"Hold firmly to the word of life." (2:16)

In Chapter 3 he shares the priceless treasure of knowing Christ:

"Whatever happens...rejoice in the Lord." (3:1)

"We rely on what Christ Jesus has done for us. We put no confidence in human effort...." (3:3)

"Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord." (3:8)

"...I become righteous through faith in Christ." (3:9)

"...I want to know Christ and experience the mighty power that raised him from the dead." (3:10)

"But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me." (3:12)

"...but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us." (3:12-13)

In Chapter 4 he offers words of encouragement:

"...always be full of joy in the Lord. I say it again, rejoice!" (4:4)

"Let everyone see that you are considerate in all you do." (4:5)

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything." (4:6)

"Then you will experience God's peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus." (4:7)

"And now...one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." (4:8)

"...for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have." (4:11)

"For I do everything through Christ, who gives me strength." (4:13)

"And this same God, who takes care of me will supply all your needs from His glorious riches, which have been given t us in Christ Jesus." (4:19)

These have been wonderful, life saving words of encouragement to me, and I share with you in the hope that these words will bring you comfort in sadness and strength for all your days. Share the Good News today, rejoice always, pray about everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment