Sunday, October 30, 2016

Darkness Yields Light



My library is small, but the literature that lines the shelves of the simple handmade rack are filled with wisdom and purpose. All have become friends, and many times they are revisited, as they bring a certain message that bears repeating. Joshua by Joseph F. Girzone still remains open as I continue to drink in the presence of Jesus. It is as if I am walking with Him past the pages into the fields and meadows that surround his quiet habitat. Since last I spoke of Joshua's visit to the city of Auburn he is finding himself in a pickle due to his passionately shared beliefs. He's walked this way before, so he is well aware of those who seek him harm, but he remains dauntless.

After attending a Friday meeting at the synagogue the crowds gather around Joshua. An angry man approaches him in spewing hatred and accusations at Joshua for his part as a Christian in persecuting his people, the Jews, and killing them in concentration camps during the time of Hitler. He had never met Joshua prior to this night, so he did not yet have a hint as to his true identify. Joshua's response to his anger teaches much:

"Joshua pitied the man's tortured spirit and felt it would be cruel to counter him. Then, 
impulsively, to the man's utter disbelief, Joshua put his arms around him and hugged him 
intensely, asking him for forgiveness for all the meanness his people had done to his 
family and all other Jews throughout the centuries. The man was overcome by the 
sincerity of Joshua's  compassion that he broke down, threw his arms around Joshua, and 
cried like a baby. In a moment all the bitterness and rage had left his troubled spirit, and 
his body went limp with the release of years of pent-up hatred and sickness."


The man, released from his anger and torment goes into the sanctuary with Joshua where they worship together. Hearing Joshua's perfect Hebrew the man begins to realize that the man he encountered is no ordinary man. 

Although this is only one of the books in the Joshua series written by Girzone, this is the one I have enjoyed the most, because it is a first encounter the people have with Joshua. It always makes me wonder if ,as we are told we may be entertaining angels, could possibly be encountering Jesus in our world today. As I was talking with Jesus I asked Him if He's been walking the streets of the city mingling with man as the book relates. Barely had the words brushed past my lips when I realized the encounter I had with a man called Cristeo. This man gave me a message, then disappeared, and this is not the first chance meeting or phone call I have received in my lifetime. It reassures me that God is very much concerned about each aspect of my life. I know He exists, because I have made mention countless times of sitting in His lap, listening and learning...being comforted by His presence. These are special times in my day, and I cherish the conversations.

This morning I elected to listen to a trusted friend's message, "Walking with God Through the Dark Times" by Charles Stanley, a Georgia pastor who has had his struggle with darkness. In the study Dr. Stanley gives six principles as seen through the life of Joseph that assure us of God's presence.

1) God is with us in our dark times. (Hebrews 13:5)

2) God has a purpose for allowing these times of darkness. (Genesis 45: 7-8, Romans 8:28)

3) The darkness will last as long as is necessary for God to accomplish His purpose. (Genesis 37 - 50)

4)We learn more in the dark than we learn in the light. (The witness is our testimony.)

5) Even in the dark times we are walking towards the light when our focus stays on Jesus. ("Trust Me.")

6) What we learn in the darkness we share in the light. (Matthew 10:27)

Great principles that I hope you look up, ponder, and talk to Jesus about for yourself. I also encourage you to listen to the message. There's always a reason God does what He does, and it is never to punish anyone. He wants our best...always!

 It is only by walking through dark times that we can truly relate to another who may be struggling and need encouragement or release from a situation that has embittered and tormented his soul. We cross paths with hurting people every day, and it is our obligation to share the reason of hope that is within us with everyone who asks. If I can share a glimmer of the hope I have in trusting Jesus with a suffering soul I want to do it, because it's the most precious gift I have...hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment