Sunday, October 23, 2016

Simply Stated




Recently I shipped my son in Virginia a box of extra-hot green chili for his roasting and eating pleasure. There is absolutely no smell on earth that equals the aroma of freshly roasted green chili! I decided to keep about six pods for myself and roast them in the frying pan. That went well except for a slight incident after not washing my hands well and experiencing the great "warming effect" green chili has when it comes in contact with the body, but we will not go there! This morning seemed a good time to put the chili in some potatoes I was frying in a little olive oil for breakfast. Very shortly I realized that indeed the green chili was not just extra-hot, but overly hot, and the mere cooking made me go into coughing spasms for several hours. My son was so excited over the news of learning there would be pain associated with the hotness of the chili that he was beside himself. Some like it hot! To each his own! I am still coughing sporadically from the adventure.

Yesterday in the late afternoon I decided to take in a movie, so I hopped into my car and headed to the theater. I decided to view Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children directed by Tim Burton, and I must say it was an afternoon well spent in the conundrum of his mind. The story is about a place of safety for these "peculiar children," or as I use the term lovingly "misfits," and of course there always has to be someone seeking to destroy, the villain. So enters the Samuel L Jackson character and his less than desirable emissaries. Actually, that part was extremely entertaining owing to the ridiculousness of it all. Still I enjoyed it so much that it will eventually find a "home" with me once released. As I was driving home thinking over the idea of the movie it gave me an idea for a story of my own. Good movies from great imaginations often kick off my writer's block. I recently told a friend that I get way more from fiction these days than I do from non-fiction. Generally the fiction comes from a place of great thought, whereas non-fiction writers seem to be saying the same thing over and over again, and nothing much seems to come of it. Good teaching, yet often times it is like the parable of the sower and the seed. You can research and think that one up for yourself if you are so inclined.

When I am struggling I much prefer to pick up a good "friend" from my book shelf these days. Ones that provoke thought.  I really need to hear God's voice and rest in His arms, so I pulled Joshua by Joseph F Girzone off the shelf and settled in my lavender bath to read this "parable for today," as Girzone states on the front cover. Joshua is a simple, but handsome, young man who shows up in the town of Auburn and changes the people's view of life and religion in particular. He, like Jesus whom he actually is in the book, answers questions people are led to ask after being in his unassuming company, after observing his simple, yet honest ways, and realizing he's not one to chase after wealth, prestige, or places of honor. He lives a simple life, has one set of clothing, earns money by making or repairing simple items, and loves the poor people of the area. He feels free to attend any church who pays honor and glory to his Father, and speaks with such an understanding of who God is, as if he really knew Him. In one instance Joshua is being driven home from the synagogue by one of men of the church, Aaron, who has lived with prestige and affluence all of his life, yet without finding true meaning. In listening to Joshua speak as they are driving along, Aaron asks Joshua,

     "...how did you become the way your are? Who taught you all the things you believe in?"

     "Why do you ask?"Joshua questioned curiously.

     "Because I can't understand how anyone could develop the vision of life that you have. It is so foreign to my way of thinking, and so different from the thinking of everybody I know."

     "I experience what I believe, Aaron, so I know that what I believe is true."

     "What do you mean, you experience it? How come I don't experience it?"

     "Each person looks at life through a different vision. Three men can look at a tree. One man will see so many board feet of valuable lumber worth so much money. The second man will see it as so much firewood to be burned, to keep his family warm in the winter. The third man will see it as a masterpiece of God's creative art, given to man as an expression of God's love and enduring strength, with a value far beyond its worth in money or firewood. What we live for determines what we see in life and gives clear focus to our inner vision."

The interesting part of this reading is the last line that I placed in italics. This is the first time I have actually seen or heard the wisdom of these words, and I have read this book way over a dozen times. I really believe God was confirming things in my life, as is His way, especially when I am into the mire and muck of daily life being sucked dry, spiritually speaking and otherwise.

So many people talk about events or news without really realizing what they are saying or without actually understanding the far reaching effects of what this information is saying or projecting. Point in case...the elections. Franklin Graham has been going all over the United States visiting and holding rallies in each State capital for one reason...to get people to pray and vote their conscience. He encourages people to becomes involved in government so Christians will truly have a say in the laws, policies and decision-making efforts. But how many people actually attended a rally or prayed for Franklin's journey this year? We are quick to post on Facebook and other social media a quotation we like from a leader or one we don't. We have our own little personal rallies about what we think or feel without taking the time to pray for those running, making decisions, or anything. Then we cry when someone is voted into office. We fail to see or listen much of the time.

During the election process with all the cat fighting going on between the Presidential candidates and the response of people's personal views many have failed to see what is happening behind the scenes. While the debates are keeping everyone up in arms, glued to the television, the President is busy at work trying to gain all the control he can before his term ends. I am part of the Presidential Prayer Team that is devoted to praying for the government and world, so I get the inside scoop, so to speak. Check out what is happening with zoning reforms that will inevitably allow the government to control levels of local State government. The exact words I read were, "...President Obama seems bent on extending his control...." The word "bent" is nicely put.

I heard on the radio this week (KLOVE) that the Smithsonian Institute is trying to raise $300,000 by mid-November for the restoration of the red ruby slippers Dorothy wore in the Wizard of Oz, because they have lacked their luster, dulling over these years. Call me biased but I can think of better ways to spend my money.

In my Prayer Alert for this week I was reading that the federal government spent $700,000 on a  study to determine whether astronaut Neil Armstrong's famous quote as the first man on the moon was transcribed accurately. The findings were inconclusive. Are you understanding what I am trying to say?!Or to quote a dear friend, "Words escape me!"

I know I am intense in the way I speak, the way I see things, but I am trying to see, speak, and communicate as Jesus would have me do. Our minds are full of garbage, and social media isn't helping. It diverts the focus away from the important things. After the elections everyone will be rushing around focusing on what new "toy" is available for Christmas, and I don't have anything to say about that, except Christmas should be celebrated each day. I love giving gifts at Christmas, but I much more prefer giving them every day. Jesus is right here. His wisdom is there for the asking. His lap is quite comfortable, and His wit remains just as sharp and poetic as the days He walked this earth. Actually, I feel He truly is right beside me every day.

The only help for our nation and world, for our lives and families, for our schools and businesses, and for our churches is the Lord Jesus Christ. It's not rocket science!


No comments:

Post a Comment