Saturday, January 13, 2018

New Year

Image result for images of I surrender all

As the New Year quietly rolled in last January I entered a  new year of testing. Today, as I retrace the path beginning last year in my Daily Walk Bible, I see no change in circumstances, but I continue to wait, hope, and trust God as He unfolds His plan for my life. It's still unclear, and at times my faith is challenged, but I continue to hold soundly to my trust in His miracle-working power in my life.

We all have a story, and every life holds purpose. Many fail to see the beauty in their lives, and an attitude of ungratefulness overwhelms. Each day is a blessing, and each day we need to express our gratitude to God for His creative genius and love displayed so amazingly in the beauty outside our windows. Even if you live in a slum, thank God for the roof over your head or the noisy rattle of the pipes that sporadically heat your home. There is always a blessing. Always. And we need to recognize it, no matter what challenges we face. In thanksgiving we release the power to receive that miracle.

Yesterday I said goodbye for the last time to a friend who passed away suddenly, unexpectedly, and in an alarming way, especially to his dear, sweet, elderly mother. He'd been sick all his life, but he never complained. Even in the worst of times he always wore a smile and embraced a positive attitude. As the priest spoke of the love of Jesus for my friend and his eternal home, he reminded us that he is now free of all pain and suffering. I could visualize  him running in the fields of heaven, the light of Christ on his face, entirely free, no longer bound to a wheelchair, and in the Presence of God. My imagination is huge, as the priest said of his own, and "seeing" this scene in heaven brought peace to all who loved my friend. Yes, we will miss him, but what peace in knowing He is at peace and rest in the Presence of our Lord for eternity.

I am reminded through scripture today that Joseph suffered greatly, but through it all our God of mercy and grace had His hand of protection on him guiding him in each trial. I noted my scribbling in the sides and bottom of the page, the underlines and stars marking certain portions. I am still struggling as I enter this new year but I fully believe that all will come to good in God's own time and for His purpose for my life, just as God had a plan for Joseph. The message is trusting, surrendering all to Him. Wednesday as I listened to the words of the song "I Surrender All" so beautifully sung by Faith Hill, I realized that I had been revisiting some things that should be at the foot of the cross. So, in the quietness of the morning, shutting out the noise in my head that relentlessly torments, I sang the words of this beautiful hymn:

All to Jesus I surrender, 
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His Presence daily live.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit-
Truly know that Thou art mine.

All to Jesus I surrender,
Lord, I give myself to Thee;
Fill me with Thy love and power,
Let Thy blessing fall on me.

I surrender all,
I surrender all;
All to Thee, my blessed Savior,
I surrender all.

I thank God for bringing me to a place in my life where I am totally dependent on Him. I see His works in my life, His provision, daily blessings, and His mercies new each day. As a young child I loved Him with all my heart. I loved going to church, singing in the choir, and to this day I feel the same way. I have not lived a perfect life, and as others have testified, so do I that while I may have forgotten God along the way at different times in my life, He never left my side. I strayed, but He never gave up on me or the plan He had for my life. And even during those times, I never stopped loving Him. There has always been that tenderness and longing to have Jesus close. I never stopped talking to Him, but I did not always listen. Now, I never want to hurt or exclude Him again. I will always put Him first in my life. Nothing else matters really.

As I continue to wait, I trust, I focus, and I say thank you, especially on those days where my peace is threatened and the testing great. One small step each day is all I need to make. The rest is in His hands, His time.

No comments:

Post a Comment