Saturday, December 5, 2015

Day 333 - Day 339 The Spirit of Christmas


 Christmas Wonderland.

I love this time of year when the stores are decorated with gifts and toys as in a Santa Village. I remember in early 2000 before I returned to New Mexico from a brief sojourn in Wisconsin I was flown into Angel Fire for an interview for the Retail Manager and Buyer position. I still remember driving up that steep hill approaching the resort, the road packed with ice and snow, wheels spinning until I switched to low gear and eased on up. I was awe struck at the wonder of it all...snow falling, skiers walking, lifts rising up and down the mountain, and white lights everywhere! As I gazed at the sights and sounds it seemed to me that this would be a wonderful location for a year around Santa Village. There seemed to be so much happiness - people were alive!

Of course settling there, working at the resort, reality sets in that the seasons change, even in idyllic places like Angel Fire where the beauty is unsurpassed, especially in autumn and winter. But the thought of a place of joy in all seasons has always stayed with me. I realized this morning that I was created for heaven where joy, peace, and love abound forever.

Imagine the most beautiful Christmas scenes you can visualize! For me it's Chimayo where in one area all the homes are in competition each year to see who can outdo the others with winter and Christmas displays. Some are absolutely breathtaking, and driving through the narrow, country road at nighttime I come alive again when I see the first glimpse of heaven. Down the road and around the bend sits the Sanctuario de Chimayo, simply decorating, but nonetheless beautiful!


 Sanctuary of Chimayo, NM at Christmas | Churches/religious folk-art ...


Another place I absolutely love to visit at Christmas is Shockoe Slip in Richmond down the street from my beloved Fan District. A walk along the river all lit up with festive lights and decorations. Beautiful. Then there's the Grand Illumination...


 Downtown Richmond’s Grand Illumination |


Now and then you'll hear music playing by a small band on a corner, small carts and children playing. Fond, fond memories of times I've spent with family and friends.


Provocative Manners: Things We Love About America! 
 

So much beauty in one small area of the world amidst a backdrop of terror in other parts of our world. Stark reality of a world in crisis. Yet even so, the Spirit of Christmas must remain in the foremost of our hearts and souls for it springs hope for a brighter tomorrow, of our eternal home. I anxiously await my eternal home going, seeing the bright lights of heaven, the glory of my Risen King. Smiles on all the faces welcoming me home - home, a place I long to be.

But as I sojourn in my place in this earthly realm I purpose to spread as much love and cheer as I can muster daily, sharing the reason of hope within me to everyone I am blessed to encounter along the way. The Spirit of Christmas, the birth of Christ and the Good News, keep my spirit alive as I press on to the higher calling and our blessed hope!



Dancing in Heaven by AprilLight on DeviantArt


No comments:

Post a Comment