Saturday, May 14, 2016

What I Learned

28 days of gratitude

Each day brings its own set of challenges, yet it also teaches us new things, enlightens, strengthens, encourages, and hopefully we gain appreciation for having lived a moment at time. Today as I rest from a busy week of "to dos," I thank God for what I have learned this week, for the revitalization of my soul, and the strengthening of my character. 

As I was cleaning my office I noticed an article I had posted on my bulletin board years ago called, "Don't Break the Elastic," by Maya Angelou:


In April, Maya Angelou was interviewed by Oprah on her 70+ birthday. Maya really is a marvel who 
has led quite an interesting and exciting life. Oprah asked her what she thought of growing older. 
And, there on television, she said it was "exciting." Regarding body changes, she said there were 
many, occurring everyday...like her breasts. They seem to be in a race to see which will reach 
her waist, first. The audience laughed so hard they cried.



Don’t Break the Elastic


by Maya Angelou                                                                          


When I was in my younger days,

I weighed a few pounds less,


I needn't hold my tummy in


to wear a belted dress.


But now that I am older,

I've set my body free;

There's the comfort of elastic

Where once my waist would be.

Inventor of those high-heeled shoes

My feet have not forgiven;

I have to wear a nine now,

But used to wear a seven.

And how about those pantyhose-

They're sized by weight, you see,

So how come when I put them on

The crotch is at my knee?

I need to wear these glasses

As the print's been getting smaller;

And it wasn't very long ago

I know that I was taller.

Though my hair has turned to grey

and my skin no longer fits,

On the inside, I'm the same old me,

It's the outside's changed a bit.

But, on a positive note...

I've learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be 
better tomorrow. I've learned that you can tell a lot about a person by the way he/she handles these 
three things: a rainy day, lost luggage, and tangled Christmas tree lights. I've learned that regardless 
of your relationship with your parents, you'll miss them when they're gone from your life. I've learned 
that making a "living" is not the same thing as making a "life." I've learned that life sometimes gives 
you a second chance. I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both 
hands. You need to be able to throw something back.

I've learned that whenever I decide something with an open heart, I usually make the right decision. 
I've learned that even when I have pains, I don't have to be one. I've learned that every day you should 
reach out and touch someone. People love a warm hug, or just a friendly pat on the back.

I've learned that I still have a lot to learn. I've learned that people will
forget what you said, people will 
forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.


As I re-read these words spoken by the wonderful peace-loving, humanitarian this lady represented, I 
giggled to myself, but her words rang true. So in my journal this morning, as part of my personal daily 
walk, I wrote what I learned this week:

  1. I learned it is important to spread the love of the Lord to everyone each day. By giving them encouragement in the form of a word, a smile, or a "pass it on" card, it brings a smile, hope, and love.
  2.  I learned to trust God in all things, even little decisions, and to share truth with everyone, especially those who are standing in prayer. I cannot believe for miracles for someone else or for a nation unless I first trust God for my own life.
  3.  I learned that while I want to go home to Virginia, that my heart still aches to be in New Mexico. I know that by trusting God the impossibility of this situation will become possible.
  4.  I learned the importance of friendships, caring more about the needs of another, even if it means my life may change.
  5.  I learned the importance of working together as a team to establish credibility by doing our jobs and equipping others to do theirs. Positive "can do" attitudes spark creativity which leads to accomplishing the impossible.
  6.  I learned that I CAN do all things through Christ who gives me strength, no matter how many times I am told I cannot.
  7.  I learned that taking the time to help someone who is struggling or who doesn't know which way to turn gives a person the strength to not give up, but to keep their dreams alive.
  8.  I learned that it doesn't take that long to eat a meal, refresh your soul, then continue on your way.
  9.  I learned how to say "no" when I needed to do so without discouraging the one on the other end of the conservation.
  10.  I learned that people appreciate when you truly listen to what they have to say without interrupting.  

I admit that my insight was nothing out of the ordinary, but little things often mean the most! I hope I can make this a daily challenge each evening to really look at my day, reflecting and asking myself if I truly made a difference in someone's life or did something happen to change my life for the better.
Little steps leader to greater things. It is a matter of having a grateful heart for all the little blessings. Smile and make someone happier this week.                                                                         


No comments:

Post a Comment