Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Christ in Me




I have always tried to live simply and quietly. I try not to assume or presume. I merely trust. I have a gift of seeing a person's true heart, their true character by gazing into their eyes. Sadly there are those who are intimidated by a person who actually gives you eye contact when speaking. So many people these days avoid looking at another person when they are talking, walking down the street, passing someone in a vehicle...whether it be for reasons of preoccupation with other matters, fear, or feelings of superiority and vanity. I do not know why anyone does what they do. Perhaps it is just their way of surviving the times.

For the past six months I have been battling my unseen enemy and the visible agents he sends to do his dirty work. As I cry out to God for answers He is faithful to my pleas. Sometimes He answers in the lyrics of a song, "Thy will be done...." or in the words of scripture heard over the radio, "Don't say, 'I will get even for this wrong.' Wait for the LORD to handle the matter." During the worst moments of not knowing how to respond to the blatant disrespect or callous lack of concern for a fellow human being's suffering, when I cry out to Abba Father He hears and He answers. Always. The still small voice can be heard when I calm myself and listen, even above the piercing noise in my ear and head resulting from my injuries, I can still hear His still small voice.

I hear Him in the words of Isaiah 50:24 "Those who trust in Me will never be put to shame." I hear His instruction regarding my response to one who is chastising me or making me feel inferior in the words of the Psalmist "Oh! Teach us to live well! (Psalm 90:12) or in Proverbs 3:2 "Never let loyalty and kindness leave you." and Psalm 13:5 "But I trust in Your unfailing love."

I have been studying the "minor" prophets in my daily reading of the Bible, and I am reminded of my days with Youth With a Mission (YWAM) when I lived in Virginia. There is a song we sang taken from the lines in Micah 6:8 that reads: 'He hath shewed thee,  O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God." In my reading the commentator speaks of the importance of names. He says that Micah means "Who is like the Lord," and Micah was called by God to be the prophet for "the exploited and downtrodden."

The way we live, how we conduct our every day life, demonstrates our true character. Our names carry meaning, as mine is pointed out to me often. "Linda" means "pretty," and it does not speak of the external characteristics as much as it should reflect the person within. I know that my parents probably did not know the meaning of my name when they chose it. It was a popular name in the year I was born, but I do hope it reflects the person I truly am inside. I want beauty to come forth, but not my own, rather the beauty of Jesus. I have been told by many over these past years that I have an "aura" around me. I pray that is the love of  Christ emanating from within me.

In the Sermon on the Mount found in Chapters 5-7 Jesus says: "Ye have heard that it hath been said Thou shalt love thy neighbor and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you." (Matthew 5:43-44) Abba is always so faithful to me, and in times of my deepest seeking for answers, He brings me back to teachings of Jesus in His Sermon. Again in my reading today in Reflection and Worship I am told "Practice showing mercy; leave justice to God." The immediate response of someone who knows my plight may be that I am not really hearing God, that He wants me to exert myself and not continue to be treated like a doormat as I have all my life. Trust me, friends, there are times I want to rant and rave and seek legal counsel. But, I stop and listen for His voice in the midst of my suffering and agonizing over this matter, and the only thing that gives me peace is knowing it is His voice I hear. When I listen the enemy's voice is silenced, and I can rest from my striving and my overwhelming consciousness of my physical pain and agony fades.

A few moments ago I responded to a Facebook post with a "heart" for love. Instantly a screen popped up saying, "Peace begins with love. Thank you for sharing love on this International Day of Peace." Is this a coincidence? I don't really know, but my heart always tells me that there are no coincidences for God's children. I believe there is meaning behind every word, response, or action. Perhaps we should think more often on the meaning behind our names and begin to ask what kind of character we want to show to the world. As for me I want my name to be expressed in my nature, the way I respond to others, not for myself, but I want to show the beauty of God's love for us and the life He wants us to have. Because what He wants for us is spoken so clearly in the words of The Lord's Prayer, "Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." Imagine it! Heaven on earth. It is possible even in these alarming times. But if we lived those words, truly sought God's direction on every decision we make, can you not see it is possible? There will always be evil and those seeking to do us harm, but our response is crucial, and I want always to follow His will, not mine. I am reminded of words spoken from Star Trek by Captain Kirk:

"There will always be those who mean to do us harm. 
To stop them, we risk awakening the same evil within ourselves.
 Our first instinct is to seek revenge when those we love are taken from us. 
But that's not who we are..."
  
Star Trek: Into the Darkness

We are always given a choice. God gives us a choice. Each day we are faced with decisions, and our response, our actions plot the way for other decisions, other actions, other responses. When do we stop to consider the ripple effect of our choices, or are we so selfish that our only concern is for ourselves. I think about it quite often, and I wonder how my life would have be different had I not done this or that. Who doesn't think those thoughts if we are honest with ourselves and others. But the truth is clearly spoken in the words of our Savior throughout the Bible, and very adeptly in the words of Max Lucado:
"Could you do it all over again, you'd do it differently.
You'd be a different person. You'd be more patient.
You'd control your tongue. You'd finish what you started.
You'd turn the other cheek instead of slapping his.
You'd get married first. You wouldn't marry at all.
You'd be honest. You'd resist temptation. You'd
run with a different crowd. But you can't."
Max Lucado
Six Hours One Friday 

Ephesians 5:17 says "Don't act thoughtlessly, but try to find out and do whatever the Lord wants you to." This is my heart cry for my personal dilemma. Perhaps I am making a poor decision. Perhaps. But I would rather err on the side of God than react foolishly and give satan an edge in my life. I want above all for others to see Christ in me, the hope of glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment