Sunday, March 4, 2018

Home

Image result for images of heaven

As I sit here this morning at my table, I hear the sound of Amazing Grace as the wind gently blows my chimes. I thank God for His gift of salvation and His promise of eternal life - amazing grace. This morning I was privileged to attend the funeral service of Billy Graham via live stream and to listen to the testimonies given by his sister and each of his children. Many words touched me as family and friends shared their stories of this mighty man of God. Franklin Graham shared about the relationship his parents had as man and wife. He spoke of their great love for each other, and he said that his father adored his mother. How I wish I knew how that felt. Imagine praying as a child for the man God has for you to share your life. Ruth prayed from China as a young girl while Billy worked the farm in North Carolina as a young boy. Imagine trusting God in such a way for the rest of your life.

Anne Graham shared about reading the Bible to her daddy, discussing the scriptures, why she chose that scripture. In essence, living the message of the Gospel of Jesus Christ each day in a real way, personalizing the scriptures as she read them to her mother.

The testimony that hit me the strongest was given by Bunny Graham, the youngest daughter. She candidly related to those gathered about the misdirection of her life, wrong choices, and stubborn independence. She shared that after she had made a terrible mistake, not listening to the advice of her parents, she ran away in fear. She decided that she needed to return to her home and to her parents. She spoke of the drive round the hills, up the long mountain road, and when she arrived at her parents' home, there she found her daddy waiting for her, welcoming her home with unconditional love. This, she shared, was a picture of how God loves us so much that even when we fail miserably, He opens His arms wide and welcomes us home. I personally know this love, because I have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and He has welcomed me home. God loves us so much more. One day, like Billy Graham, I will pass from this life to my eternal home with Jesus Christ, my Savior and Lord. I long to hear the words, "Enter in, My good and faithful servant."

My life has not been as I had planned, but I know that God has kept me and that He is leading me, guiding my path today as  I place my trust in Him. My parents were simple folk, and my daddy a misunderstood man. But I can tell you with certainty that he adored my mother, and he loved God. I saw a man with crippled legs and a broken heart kneeling beside his bed in prayer. That memory has been permanently etched in my mind and heart as much as the memories shared by Billy Graham's family.

My children are scattered across the miles, separated from me by a few hours or a few days journey. I pray they have good memories burning in their hearts of my love for them and especially my love and faith in Jesus. And I believe that one day I'll see them again, reconciled, together with me and each other, and I know revival will break forth as we praise the Lord together for His saving grace and His healing, redemptive power. I'll be standing there with open arms, welcoming them home with unconditional love just as my Father welcomed me, just as He will welcome You if you accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior. He is the Truth, the Way, and the Life. No one else satisfies.

No comments:

Post a Comment