Saturday, April 4, 2020

Madness and Mayhem

Cell Phone Addiction - PsychGuides.com
Tuesday was my day off. I always look forward to those days, because it gives me time to relax and breathe. The day started quietly, although I had some things that were causing me concern, but I determined that nothing would disrupt my alone time with my Father. I wrote in my journal, read my Bible and devotionals, listened to the songs on the radio that seemed to jump out at me much as the words in the pages of the Bible. All seemed well, and I felt prepared for the day ahead.

I noticed Monday that one of the lens in my eyeglasses was cracking, so I contacted Walmart to see if the Vision Center was open. I decided that I needed to adjust my schedule for Wednesday so I could stop by with my prescription, so I made the changes successfully. One task down. My major concern has been about my cell phone. For weeks now I have been getting failed login messages, so I figured that someone was trying to hack into my account. I called Verizon, and the fun began. I spent the majority of the day on the phone with one service representative after another, uninstalling applications, reinstalling them, disabling and removing applications, until I ended up with messages and emails being written in Chinese. This setting would not allow me to change it, so finally I contacted Motorola at the end of the day after frustrating every service rep at Verizon who were powerless to help me after assuring me they could. After about an hour and a half, my phone was back up to par, and I could communicate in English! However, prior to fixing the phone, something happened to my computer, and it crashed, so after the cell phone, I had to deal with the computer issue. At one insane moment in time, I was without a cell phone or a computer. To say I was overwhelmed is an understatement.

The next morning, as I was thinking about all those hours lost in this state of utter futility, I began to realize how complex and dependent on technology my life had become. Many times when I see advertisements on television about newer phones or this gadget and that gadget that is designed to make life more portable and effortless, I cringe, because everything is instant gratification. We speak to our phones, and it places the call. Alexa, who starts our engines, turns the music to whatever station we desire, plus a myriad of things, does for us what we used to do for ourselves.  Kids no longer play outside, rather they prefer to play games on their devices. At the point my phone would only allow me to send text messages by voice, I was unhinged. It was maddening, but not as bad as the conversion of my messages from English to Chinese, then the loss of my computer. I felt alone, out of touch with the world. I don't know why I was upset, I still had my landline and my DVD player.

When I was on the phone Tuesday, waiting for help, I thought to myself that I could get by without a cell phone, but my computer?! No way! Everything is done on the computer. But, sitting at the table Wednesday morning, talking to God, I decided that I don't want my life ruled by technology. I don't want to be robotic in how I live my life. The human touch is a thing of the past. I am a writer, and I love to receive snail mail, as it is called. I still buy cards and write letters. An email is nice, and it takes effort, but there's nothing like the personal touch of a handwritten letter. Instead of picking up the landline phone, we send text messages or use messenger on our cell phones. Have you ever been in a restaurant and observed families eating meals together? Each one, including young children, have a cell phone, and rather than talk to each other and enjoy family time, they each are engrossed in checking email, text messages, listening to music or playing games. Conversation is limited to "pass the salt" or "may I have a refill."

Now that people are confined to their homes the wifi is slowing down due to so much use. What ever happened to board games? Puzzles? Conversation? Arts and crafts? Reading a book? Cooking together? Jon Bon Jovi was on television the other day talking about cooking with the family or for others. Why not follow his lead? Imagine what would happen if everything crashed! The world would be lost. Or maybe not! Maybe there are other people, like me, who still want the human connection.

Wednesday afternoon when I came home, I saw my young neighbor playing with her dog outside my home. We chatted awhile, while we observing social distancing, and it was nice to talk to my young friend and laugh again over the antics of the dog. As I drove to work earlier, there were people walking and a family standing by the road getting ready for a stroll, men working on the ditch, and cars passing now and then. One thing was common, each person smiled and waved to me. As it should always be. Community.

Again, I'm learning. Reflection is good. And this is a good time to be doing just that. Wednesday morning while praying I was reminded of the warning to the church in Laodicea. The church was called lukewarm. I never want to be found lacking in motivation and love. I want to be on fire for the things of God. At times like this people tend to pray more and reach out to each other for comfort. I want a life that is more than technology. I want flesh and blood relationship. My constant prayer is for repentance, humbling, healing, and revival for our nation and world. We need to be connected to our Savior first and then to the world through relationship. As Easter approaches let's focus on life and living! Many are in fear, but Jesus is the answer. Perfect love casts out fear, and Jesus is Perfect Love. So rather than sitting in front of the television, worrying about this or that, let's praise and sing and think on the good things. There are many! God will see us through this time, as He always has.

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by 
prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your 
requests to God. And the peace of God, which
transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts
and your minds in Christ Jesus. Finally, brothers,
whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, 
whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever
is admirable - if anything is excellent or 
praiseworthy-think about such things.

Philippians 4:4-8

 

No comments:

Post a Comment