Sunday, November 30, 2014

The Wonder of It All

"These memories of who I was and where I lived are important to me. They make up a large part of who I'm going to be when my journey winds down. I need the memory of magic if I am ever going to conjure magic again. I needed to know and remember, and I want to tell you." Robert R. McCammon

Why is it that people are afraid of things they do not understand, and they feel the need to pick it apart and examine it until they find out what makes it tick.   Or people, for that matter.  People you think you know all your life suddenly experience a change.  The familiar grows into uncertainty, and we have this need as human beings to want to find out what happened, rather than accept a thing at face value.  Not for the wonder of it all, but because we become afraid.  And usually it's because we are the ones who change, not the focus of our attention.

I just watched an old John Travolta movie, Phenomenon, where the character, George experiences a shaft of light from heaven, and he immediately begins an evolution of growth in his mental capacity.  It's an interesting message about a really nice guy, liked by an entire town, who increasingly grow afraid of a guy they've known and loved all their lives.  I couldn't think of an actor more aptly suited to the role. It's a must see movie, but bring tissues, as it's a tear jerker.

I haven't written for awhile.  Well, that isn't really the truth, because I write all the time, I just don't publish it. I have about 53 unpublished blogs, this being one of them. I generally have to be moved to publish some things, whereas other just...happen.  This one is more contemplative.

I've had a rough few days, but I've never been more thankful in my life. Kind of a mixed blessing, I guess, but then that's how my life goes.  Each morning that I open my eyes from a good night's sleep is a blessing I don't deserve. Some people cannot sleep, and I can empathize, as I wasn't able to sleep for many, many years, except for a snatch here and there, then I was granted a reprieve.  We take a lot for granted in this transient life we live.  A friend recently shared another thing with me that he won't take for granted again, and I could empathize with him as well. My long life has witnessed many transitions as far as health and healing is concerned, so being "different" really is something I've grown comfortable with being.  I thank God for my uniqueness.

We each have our abilities, gifts unique to each of of us.  It's what makes the world diverse and interesting. Sameness wouldn't be as much fun, don't you think?!  The world would become pretty boring if we all looked alike, thought alike, and all did the same thing.  Diversity.  That's the way of things.

Unfortunately, however, there is a down side to this way of thinking, and those who question the authenticity of experience are the ones who cannot accept genuine kindness or goodness and who exploit, dissect, and destroy the human spirit.  If you can't explain something, then it must be something wrong, so kill it!  Then you wind up missing out on the best things possible and enjoying the comradery of it all.

Oddities exist; this I know to be true.  And I couldn't think of a better day on this "might have been" 41st year to think about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment