Saturday, November 8, 2014

Respond in Kind





"But life is worth nothing unless I use it for doing
the work assigned me by the Lord Jesus -
the work of telling others the Good News about
God's mighty kindness and love!"
Acts 20:24




This week one of my friends confided in me about a problem she was having at her job that provoked feelings of anger, injustice, discrimination, and mostly deep hurt.  I was having a pretty difficult day myself, so I mostly listened and agreed with her feelings, fully understanding as I have been on the receiving end of such attacks, and it isn't pleasant.  Later on as I was driving to an appointment Holy Spirit reminded me of a verse in Ephesians, "Having done all stand."  He reminded me that God is the vindicator and "no weapon formed against us shall prosper and any tongue rising against us in judgment God would show to be in the wrong". I heard "Be still and know that I am God" and "When a man's ways are pleasing to the Lord, even his enemies will be at peace with him."  Had my heart been open and my ears attuned to hear His voice at the time of my friend's call I could easily have shared these encouraging words with her.  But I will, as I think it is very important to encourage each other in our faith, especially in times of testing, and our work is a war zone these days.

This morning as I was reading along in Our Daily Walk the author wrote, "Ministry that costs nothing accomplishes nothing."  I know this in theory and definitely in practice, but it isn't always a warm and fuzzy feeling to be under the scrutiny of another.  The author goes on to say, "Are you expendable in your ministry for God? Are you ever moved to tears by the sight of others in need? Are you available at all times...to all people...regardless of the personal cost or inconvenience?"  I immediately remembered the times I received calls from a friend around 3 am each morning, because she could not sleep and was terribly burdened, going through a time of brokenness and pain, seeking answers.  Normally I was awake, because I was suffering chronic pain and terribly debilitating migraine and spinal headaches for days on end.  My daughter used to get so angry at me for taking the calls when I was so ill, but my friend needed me.  Those days when I was so crippled from pain and suffering were some of the best days of my life as an intercessor.  My eyes and heart were open to see and hear what the Lord was speaking to my heart, so of course I was always eager to share a word of encouragement, regardless of the hour, and regardless of whether I had happened to fall asleep or not.

I received a similar call this week, very late at night, from a patient-friend, a young girl who needed to talk.  After a grinding day of confusion, uncertainty and bittersweet success, I chose to take that call, because I knew she needed to talk, and I was here to listen and support.  It's not my job or obligation, rather it is my pleasure to serve others in this way, because I can feel their pain so easily.  When we ask God to break our heart for what breaks His, we see and understand so easily, so we can minister as He speaks the words through us to them at their hour of need and desperation.  This is my call.  This is my life.

Regardless of what comes my way, regardless of the mixed feelings I have about staying put or moving on, one thing I know is that God has been using me in this place.  I cried with a friend last night as we are both far from home and family, she much closer than I as her family is in Texas, but we both are living on our own from broken marriages and both in jobs that test our faith.  We are each seeking answers about our next steps, fighting conflicting feelings of staying or leaving. Waiting.  Holidays with her family are possible, whereas I am not as fortunate, but I am blessed in having extended family who welcome me each year into their homes.  Still since the loss of my parents and other circumstances in my life, I have to fight depression during this time, like many people in the world do.  It's a spiritual battle for me more than a personal one, in fact, most people do not realize it as such because they do not understand the enemy of their souls. And it is for this reason many succumb to suicide, because they feel so inescapably alone.  But I know differently, because in my darkest hours, in my deepest despair, I feel His presence, and I hear His still small voice, ever so softly whispering to me.  So I don't give up, and I won't give in.  And I will be here to support those who may not know what I know, but I will share His love.  After all if anyone knows how we feel, it is Jesus.  He knows the torture of feeling betrayed, abandoned, scorned, and so far from Home.  He felt alone, and He died of a broken heart. He knows exactly how we feel and much more.

My son told me once I was pretty much a "what you see is what you get person" which I took not as criticism, but as praise, because Paul, the Apostle, lived a life of transparency.  He wasn't shy in telling people his failures, sins, regrets, because he had found eternal life.  He spoke publicly, privately, in large groups or small, with needy people, reaching out always to share the good news. Jews, Gentiles, day or night he lived a life of tears and triumphs, selflessness rather than selfishness.  My son also called me "selfless", and although I feel so honored that he considers me such, I fail so much in comparison to Jesus.  My one desire is to respond to others who need a word to guide their way as He would. There are days I feel so far from His likeness, so deep in the storms of the day, yet these are tests to perfect our character, and God uses the snares of the enemy and his chosen vessels to put us to the test.  Remember it is an open book test, the Bible, so we can never fail the test.  Hopefully, in your day to day struggles you do not have to re-take the test as often as I have had to in several instances.  But I am getting wiser, with a little clearer vision, and regardless I can share the Good News with others faced with their own battles.

I can smile, because I know that God loves me, He chose me from the beginning of the world to be conformed to the image of Christ, just like He chose each of you.  It's an open book test, this life of ours, and we cannot fail as long as we keep our eyes fixed on Him, the Author and Finisher of our faith. I don't know about you, but that makes me feel much better and more alert  So the next time the enemy uses someone to bring disparity or judgment your way, respond with a smile recalling in your mind, "This is a test!  I can pass this one!" Think of the looks you'll get in response to your reaction! 

My prayer is for peace especially in the midst of storms.  With me I pray you'll say, "Arise my soul and sing! This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it."


No comments:

Post a Comment