Friday, March 27, 2020

If My People

 2 Chronicles 7:14 - KJV - Bible verse of the day - DailyVerses.net

Each day life changes as the world waits anxiously for a turn in our current state of emergency. Many people are sick and countless more are fearful not knowing what to expect. Today we heard that the schools will remain closed for the rest of the school year as our leaders continue to battle the unseen enemy crippling our nation and world. Many have lost their jobs and are buckling under that stress wondering how they will be able to make ends meet. Many others are volunteering their time to help people in distress in whatever way they can to make life a little easier. We all have something we can do.

As I listen to reports each day of the steps being taken by our leaders to combat the disease, I am encouraged to hear our President ask our nation to pray. I believe that prayer is the best thing that we can do. If we are truly a nation under God, then He is the one to seek in our time of need. God is looking for those who will stand in the gap. I am reminded of Ezekiel 22:30 where God says:

"I looked for a man among them who would build up the wall
and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so
I would not have to destroy it, but I found none."

It was a relief to hear that Congress agreed on legislation today that will bring relief to many who are struggling financially. Many times it takes something like this threat to the welfare of all for people to get along and work together for the common good. It is sad that it takes a crisis for this to happen. I continue to ask God to break my heart for what breaks His, and I ask Him to show me things is my life that are not pleasing to Him. I want my life to line up with His word. I want to live the better life Jesus taught us how to live. In John 16:33 Jesus comforts His disciples by telling them, "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

Today as I studied 2 Samuel 11-14, I read the account of King David's err in judgment when he took his eyes off God and sinned with Bathsheba setting in motion a chain of events. As the author puts it: "David's reign was marked by material wealth, military success, social prestige, and the promise of future prosperity. But in David's heart, a steady erosion was taking place in his ability to withstand temptation - a spiritual slide away from God prompted by an undisciplined life of passion, polygamy, and idle pleasure. When the moment of temptation came, David had no power to resist, and the rest is history."  When God used Nathan the prophet to confront David with his sin, David responded in humility and repentance. He acknowledged that first and foremost he had sinned against God. God forgave David, and we see Bathsheba's son Solomon listed in the lineage of Christ. God is looking for men like David who are quick to repent and restore their fellowship with God.

Throughout history God has been faithful to answer the prayers of repentant men and women who humble themselves and cry out to Him. He's waiting now. I am thankful that there are men of courage who will stand up and ask for prayer, admitting that we need God not just at this time, but all the time. I am answering the call, and I pray you are also.

No comments:

Post a Comment