Saturday, March 28, 2020

WOTL - Wait on the Lord

Psalm 27:14 Wait on the Lord, Bible Verse Poster | Zazzle.com
Last night was an on-off type of sleep pattern ending too abruptly with a sciatic nerve attack early this morning. Ouch! Still, I have no complaints as I'm an early riser, and I had some things I wanted to accomplish. My "to do lists" are shorter these days, because I don't have the stamina to do much, especially after working all week. No, it's not my age, son! My younger son always reminds me that I'm advancing in years and need to slow down. But I assure him that I have a few more leagues to go, although I do appreciate that he is concerned about his old mama!

Yesterday was a challenging day in many ways not necessarily associated with our current crisis. A careless driver almost front-ended me at a stop sign by making a left turn too sharply and too fast. That'll wake you up quickly! I work during the days caring for a precious lady in her 90's who's a joy to be around. We giggle and try to find the good things in life to discuss much like Pollyanna's Glad Game. I do work hard at my scheduled tasks, so by the end of my shift I'm pooped. I think the news wears me down many times, but I must admit it also lightens my heart to hear how people are working together to help others. Like the young college kids taking meals to or running errands for those who are alone and vulnerable. Social media groups like Zoom and Hangouts are encouraging people to meet online to ease the loneliness of social distancing. Many people are being creative, and rather than being in the dumps, they are joining together to encourage and lift the spirits of others.

Over the past few weeks someone has been trying to hack one of my accounts. Yesterday my cell phone almost shut down completely as I received message after message of applications shutting down. For a minute I thought the perpetrator had found a way in, but I'm still safe. Rather than allow this drama to become my focus, I cut the phone off and went about my business. Hours later I was successful in extinguishing the flames, for the time being. I guess someone is trying to find an easy way to earn a living at the expense of another. But it happens all the time.

These are strange and perilous times. In my reading today I was reminded of a Psalm I memorized as a child and sang as a chorus as an adult:

The LORD is my light and my salvation-- whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life-- of whom shall I be afraid? When evil men advance against me to devour my flesh, when my enemies and my foes attack me, they will stumble and fall. Though an army besiege me, my heart will not fear; though war break out against me, even then will I be confident. One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple. For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock. Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD. Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me. My heart says of you, "Seek his face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek. Do not hide your face from me, do not turn your servant away in anger; you have been my helper. Do not reject me or forsake me, O God my Savior. Though my father and mother forsake me, the LORD will receive me. Teach me your way, O LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors. Do not turn me over to the desire of my foes, for false witnesses rise up against me, breathing out violence.I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait on the LORD. 
 Psalm 27 

The final words, "Wait on the Lord," is our focus for today. Again, borrowing a lesson from the life of David, the youngest of eight brothers who, prior to becoming a King, tended the family's flocks of sheep! Rather than grumble and complain about his job, David found ways to grow and learn and occupy his down time in a positive way. He was a "talented harp player" and writer of psalms. He became a "brave warrior" by saving his flocks from bears and lions; a skill he later honed to slay the giant Goliath. He was a handsome, young man whom the Lord called the "apple of His eye." He lived a seemingly obscure life as a youngster, but He caught God's attention by taking the time to listen and grow closer to God.

"There are times when God asks nothing of
His children except silence, patience, and tears."

Daily Walk Bible
Scripture reminds us that God is for us, not against us (Romans 8:31). He never leaves us nor forsakes us (Hebrews 13:5). He will keep in perfect peace all who trust Him and whose thoughts are fixed on Him (Isaiah 26:3).
As we WOTL I have a little challenge to propose, a way I try to keep my focus clear. Each day ask yourself these questions:

     1. What and who am I grateful for? Name three.
     2. What is right in my life right now? Name three things.
Make it a family game as you share a meal. It will help everyone in your circle of influence develop an attitude of gratitude and hopefully help you get to know each other a little better. Make up your own questions. Be creative and have fun! And be sure to share how you're coming along with me, because being alone I enjoy a little social interaction! Plus I care about you all. God's blessings and peace be on each of you!
"Find joy in the Journey"

Rejoice in the Lord always!
Philippians 4:4





No comments:

Post a Comment