Friday, July 3, 2015

Day 182 - A Humble Man

Choose another

Wednesday morning, July 1, 2015, as I was busily going about the craziness of my morning, a day I routinely have off instead was working, I received some news that has brought such sorrow to my heart. I learned that a dear man whom I've had the privilege of knowing for quite a few years died in an automobile accident.

In the wildly inappropriate world in which we live where disrespect and indiscretion rule the day, as opposed to rue the day, there are a few people who seem to make the world a better place in which to live. My friend was such a man.

Over the years I have had the special privilege of knowing Ray, his sweet wife, and family my life has been enriched. His daughter, Cindy is a rare and special jewel in God's eye, and her eyes twinkled with the love of her daddy. Although her heart is broken, her grief inconsolable, she will always treasure the special memories, unique to her relationship alone, shared with her daddy.

I knew a quiet man who had shouldered many sorrows in his lifetime, yet he had faced his challenges with courage and integrity. He lived a simple life, surrounded by children who made meeting his needs in illness their prime goal. Whenever I visited my friend he was always pleasant, though often in such pain of heart and body, but his warmth and hospitality reached to the depth of my soul. His children, always respectful, grandchildren always so energetic and happy, brought tears of joy to my eyes, as I remembered days so spent with my children when they were young. My heart always ached wanting to share the same kinship with my family who are now so spread apart and disconnected, so different from my childhood and the one I beheld here with this family.

I want to say to Ray "Thank you for gracing my life with your presence, your friendship, and the love of your family. Although I will miss you, my friend, I will always cherish the memories of time chatting with you on the porch of your home, surrounded by your loved ones, rejoicing in your joys and hopefully standing with you in your times of trouble. I pray that I brought of bit of sunshine into your life in repayment of the blessings you and your family brought to mine. May you rest safely in the arms of your Savior until we meet again."

No comments:

Post a Comment