Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Hope in Times of Need



Today has been a very difficult day. As I write this a dear friend, a member of my church family is lying on his death bed. My pastor, another lady from church, and I went and spent time relieving the family by tidying up the kitchen, and sitting by his side. It seemed a small thing to do. Our friend is in his 80's, and his health has been declining rapidly. It was very hard to sit by his bed, holding his hand while he thrashed in pain, gasping for air. From time to time in his anguish he would call out "Father, help me!"

This morning in my quiet time I read this prayer written by Kim Boyce:

"Heavenly Father,
Teach me not to procrastinate but to do 
what I can today, because there is no promise
of tomorrow. Lead me to those people who are 
in need of something that I can give. I want to be
available for You to use in any way that You should choose.
Amen


As I read these words I repeated them as my own prayer of service not knowing how quickly God would answer. On the opposite side of this coin we had a dedication of a little baby this morning. Life and death. We encounter opportunities of service every day, and it is our responsibility, our privilege to serve.

There are so many ways to serve and pay honor to God. All around me, day by day, I see loneliness, fear, and suffering. The needs are many and desperately real. Yesterday I was in Santa Fe getting my car serviced. After doing a little shopping I returned to wait for my car. I enjoyed the fellowship of a man and his wife and another lady who were waiting for their vehicles, and we shared a great time of conversation, laughter and sharing. I shared the type of work I do, and each had commented that they didn't think they could do that kind of work. Then the man mentioned the news of Friday about which I new nothing, as I do not always listen to or read the news. The conversation quickly ended when I asked "what news," and a woman said "You already do so much. You don't need to trouble yourself with this." So I let it go, as they were obviously making an attempt to spare me of something that had happened in Albuquerque. Something they felt strongly I did not need to know. When I got in the car later I checked the news, and my heart was instantly broken, and the depth of the agony was inconsolable as it remains to this time. A little girl had been brutally murdered in inconceivable acts of cruelty by her mother and people she trusted. The degree of this deprivation was beyond any reasoning, as it will remain. 

Our world needs prayer. We need to cry out to God and seek forgiveness for sins of omission. How can things go so unobserved? How could it get to this point without someone noticing? Where is our conscience? How can we keep it from ever happening again?! The questions go on and on as we grope for answers and ways to keep innocent children safe in this perverse world. And not just children but elders, helpless, innocent ones who cannot fight back. We are in need of our Savior.

Just a few moments ago two small children from next door were banging on my door. They wanted to see if I wanted to pick peaches..."as many as you want," they said enthusiastically. Precious in God's sight. Children who trust me as their neighbor, inviting me to their home. "Father, keep them safe in Your arms. Help me to do my part in ensuring their safety and the safety of all I come in contact with day by day. Make me vigilant."

I also pray for peace for my friend who is struggling and for his family as they watch and wait with him. I know how hard it is to let our parents and loved ones go; it is never easy to watch someone we love battle pain. My heart cries out to the Only One who can comfort. May my friend rest in His hands and in His love. Abba Father, thank You for keeping Victoria safe in your arms. Eternally at peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment