Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Coloring Outside the Lines



 


 "Our values are messed up.... Thrills are going
for top dollars and the value of human beings is
at an all time low.... Life is reduced to weekends,
paychecks, and quick thrills. The bottom line 
is disaster.... Now please understand, this
is man's value system. It is not God's.
His plan is much brighter."

Max Lucado
No Wonder They Call Him The Savior

Wednesday at last! Wednesdays are my "mental stability" days, and today is the first one in a long time when I haven't had an appointment of some kind! Yippee!! Free to be "me" day!

I spent my morning talking to Jesus, writing my Compassion International kids, and doodling in my journal. I googled some information for my son on the meaning of Yahweh that may help appease his curiosity, and now I am blogging. I suppose I should be cleaning my house, but somehow that just doesn't equate to "fun" in my way of thinking. Still...!


In my Daily Walk I am now reading the book of Ezekiel. Today we ventured into the valley of dry bones, and I witnessed the resurrection of dead soldiers. God spoke to Ezekiel and told him to speak to the bones and tell them He was going to breathe life into them again. I understand this concept, as it has been my express desire to see this phenomenon in our world today, to include churches. Life has become either a humdrum existence or a rat race, when it should be an adventure in living. It is so disturbing to see  people who are so intent on looking at the grim side of life, when we need to focus on what we could be doing to change it. There are so many people who needs someone to invest time in them. That's a true reward.

I have this harnessed energy inside of me that is bursting to be let loose at the first glimpse of anyone who can catch the vision. I believe God has opportunities waiting for us to help our fellow man, not for personal gain but for encouragement and support. We all need that! I have spoken of gifts and talents we each have, and they need to be used, so others can become aware that they have purpose too. As Max Lucado put it in the quotation above, our value system is messed up.

I shared with you about the necklace my friend, Sharon gave me for my birthday with the inscriptions "Trust Your Crazy Ideas" and "Always Color Outside the Lines."


Well, my "crazy ideas" are what keep me going. Each day I travel, so I see many things I wish I didn't see, and I am involved in situations that simply should not be allowed. Opportunities. One such opportunity is my dream for a Homeless Shelter here in Espanola, We have a soup kitchen for lunch Monday-Friday, but we need more. We need shelter, clothing, and counselors; tutors, companions, and hands on life skill coaching. If everyone worked together for the common good there is no limit to what can happen in this little blink of an eye town. I believe in people, and I know there are others who share this vision. I am not the only one who "colors outside the lines!"

What about where you live? Look around, open your eyes and "see" and your ears to "hear." I guess many think because I am retirement age that I should "chill" and enjoy my life. Well I am! This is my life! I have always loved a good adventure and a story well told. We all have stories. By sharing a part of our lives with others who are wasting theirs in dead end pursuits, too busy earning a living than living a life, or who are wasting valuable time in the pursuit of nothingness, we all win! By caring enough to invest time with people who are homeless, down on their luck, stuck  in bad relationships, fixated on drugs, or who feel they have nothing to offer,  we are sharing our stories and empowering them to realize they have stories. Just imagine the possibilities for good. Then imagine the "pay it forward" effect. It can happen.

If you have ideas I would love to hear them. If you want to become involved in saving a life, let's brainstorm. I need to see dry bones assemble like the Avengers! So get off your couch, Potatoes, turn off your soaps and novellas, and let's hit the ground flying. Together we can change a world one person at a time and enrich our lives in the doing!


No comments:

Post a Comment