Saturday, February 17, 2018

Day 4 - Season of Lent


Image result for images of lent

17 February 2018

In early days when Moses was leading God's people of Israel to the promised land, holy days and festivals were established to set apart as worship, atonement, remembrance, all manner of days of sacrifices to a holy God. These observances were commands to be followed. In my limited sensibilities I cannot begin to imagine how these instructions were followed by so many people. I remember the sermons of Jonathan Edwards, "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God," and I shudder to think of the reprisals for those who fail to obey the letter of the law. Just consider, Jesus paid the price for our sins. He ransomed us, and there is no more need for sacrifices. Not that there could ever be enough blood to make up for His ultimate sacrifice. To show our love we now dedicate our lives to His service. He asks so little of us really.

When asked the greatest commandment, Jesus said to love the Lord our God with all our hearts, and the second is to love others. It sums up all of the ten commandments. And yet we fail so miserably in putting other things before Him or the needs of others. We have become callous and insensitive to the needs of people. Voices cry out to be heard. How can we turn our backs or a deaf ear to the voices?

As I continue my journey of peace, I cry out to Jesus to break my heart for what breaks His more and more. I want to see, and I want to hear, and I want to love. Victory comes through peace and  trust in my Lord Jesus to deliver me through trials and temptations. I want every stronghold broken in my life, and I want to listen attentively, shutting out the distractions, the lies, the thoughts, and compromises. I want only to hear His voice. This is my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment