Wednesday, February 14, 2018

Love to You


Image result for 1 Corinthians 13:7 images

A heaviness surrounds me as I sit here this morning at the keyboard. When does life become so hard that a person would decide to give up rather than continue to fight? Why do we run when we could be living? Is facing the road ahead so painful or so frightening that we cannot take the next step? Even when one is surrounded by friends and family? Aren't we called to fight the good fight of faith? Or to finish the race? This weighs heavily on my heart today.

For many years I've had to face my battles pretty much alone. My family is scattered or otherwise occupied in the pursuit of sanity. I know depression and loneliness, as I have mentioned too many times in my writings, but I do so to make a valid point and never to call attention to the momentary affliction. When I say "alone" I am referring to humanity, not to Deity, as Jesus walks beside me - more often than not carrying me - every day. That's why I can't give up. However, He created people to help each other in the walk of faith.

I understand that there are reasons people choose to pull the plug, figuratively speaking, but that's not what has happened in this case. I'm not sure I should even be sharing these thoughts, but it's part of the world in which I live. I see so much daily that it boggles my mind how people can turn a deaf ear to the needs of others. And if we do respond, if we do reach out in a random act of kindness, do we make the deed public knowledge? As messengers of Christ's love we are not to let the right hand know what the left is doing. Otherwise, what's the point?

Today's Valentine's Day, and I am spending my day with Jesus. I'm glad my day off falls on this day, as perhaps I can focus less on the insanity around me and rest securely in the assurance that the Author and Perfecter of my faith is holding my right hand. A few weeks ago, I shared with my church congregation that I may not be able to control what happens outside of my home, but I can control what is allowed inside. This is a place of peace and solace, and whomever comes across the threshold will feel the Presence of the Lord, I pray.

A dear friend faced an unimaginable loss last week, and I so pray she can find peace in the midst of this suffering. Tragedy strikes every day as we are bombarded with the news of countless acts of human depravity. Recently, such a crime was committed just a short distance from me, and my heart cries out to God. And yet, in these times, when people cry out "Where is your God?" I know He is right there in the midst of it. For those who are seeking an answer to this question, I recommend your reading The Shack by William P Young or watching the movie of the same name starring Sam Worthington and Octavia Spencer. I assure you, your questions will be answered.

For today perhaps, I will attempt to breathe a bit more gently and focus on the love that surrounds me and the love I want to emanate to others. Muhammad Ali was quoted as saying, "Don't count the days make the days count." And I say, "Don't waste the time, embrace the time." Either way, you get the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment