Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Life Well Lived

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, 
that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto 
God, which is your reasonable service.  And be not conformed to this world: 
but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove 
what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God.
Romans 12:1-2


The books of 1st and 2nd Kings are historical accounts of the life of King David and his godly reign up to the division of the kingdom after Solomon's reign.  The two books of Chronicles detail the same accounts but from a different perspective.  I must admit that the genealogy is a bit lengthy, but it describes the ancestry of Jesus, so it is well worth the read.  It is also a lesson in raising our children to love the law of the Lord and to train them up in the way they should go.  Even King David, a man after God's own heart had an Achilles's heel.  It was the same sin that finally effected the change in his son, Solomon's life and rule.  In contrasting the two Kingdoms, Judah, composed of two tribes - Judah and Benjamin; and Israel the remaining ten tribes, it is interesting to note that despite the prior rule of a godly king, the children who seceded after their father's death to become king, were evil in the eyes of the Lord.

This really isn't news, as we saw in the book of Samuel the downfall of a priesthood with Eli and hi rebellious sons.  Eli merely turned a blind eye and deaf ear, and his sons carried on abominably for all to see.  The consequence was devastating. It makes me think about how my children feel about the way they were raised.  Did I truly train them up in the way of the Lord?  Was I a godly example?  I have been accused of being overzealous, but isn't that better than not being consistent in my beliefs?  I admit I may have gone overboard in some areas of trying to protect them, but then again, maybe not.  I think children see way too many things which damage their innocence.

As my children matured they each made their own profession of faith in Jesus, so I feel that regardless of how they may stand at the moment, God will be faithful to complete His good work in them.  I do not think a person who is rooted and grounded in Jesus since an early age can escape His great salvation.  I choose to listen to what God says in His word and to my heart on this matter. When I was growing up my school teachers and principal were church leaders, as were my parents and grandparents.  I will always cherish that life, and I pray that my own children will remember my life and how I tried to honor and put God first.

The world is on a downward spiral, as more immoral and ungodly actions are imposed upon the world by our leaders.  If I happen to listen to the news I hear snide remarks made regarding current events and Biblical prophesy.  Yesterday while waiting for my oil to be changed and tires rotated I heard and saw things on the television that make me glad I don't watch tv.  The television was tuned into Insider report which is a celebrity report.  It is so sad to witness the distance a person will travel to be noticed and adored by the public.  Very sad the lengths some go for popularity.  It breaks my heart to see an innocent child in a family friendly movie grow up to throw his or her innocence away just to win an award or gain notoriety.  My constant prayer is that God will preserve them from evil, so they will grow to be examples of righteousness to a sick and dying world.

Just briefly visiting this world of chaos and immorality, just that brief encounter, makes me more determined to reach as many people as I can for the cause of Christ.  God wants none to perish but all to experience life with Him for eternity.  His return is very soon, so we need to occupy until He comes.  The Bible says to be clothed in righteousness.  To be followers of Christ as He lived so shall we by loving, accepting, showing restraint and decency be examples others will want to follow.  Would God treat you any less?  God gave freely, so we need to follow His lead. 

When I die I want my tombstone to read:  "She never lost faith", and I hope standing around will be people whose lives I touched for Jesus.  Doing His will is a life well lived.  I want to be found ready and worthy through Jesus when He returns.                  


No comments:

Post a Comment