Sunday, April 20, 2014

The Life I Live is His Alone

Life is meant to be lived.  We make decisions and choices based on the needs of the present, but unfortunately we do not always choose life; we do what we feel honor dictates or our preconditioned mind tells us is right, good, or practical. Sadly we often drift into existing or surviving rather than living life as God intended.  We justify the choice based on what we have learned, and in some cases, selfish ambition or gain.  Seldom do we look within ourselves or ask God what path we are to take on our journey.  The good thing is that it is never too late to begin to live, cherishing each day, relishing the discoveries, and understanding the differences.

I haven't written for the last couple of days as I've not known how to express the feelings that well up within me but are not easily expressed in words.  The emotions I feel are so overwhelming that I don't feel words can do them justice.  They are visionary in many ways, glimpses, and often misunderstood by others.  Sometimes I think my family wonders what nonsense fills my mind, and I know they do not understand, and quite possibly, they don't want to know. People are often afraid of ideas that contradict their lifestyles or their way of seeing things. As I pen the words I often ask myself if what I say, feel, or think is truly inspired by God.

Yesterday my friend and I went to see 'Heaven is for Real'.  Although the movie was wonderfully told I believe there is more that needs to be understood. Colton Burpo, the little four year who visited heaven, said God sent him back, because his daddy prayed.  In the movie, as I am certain in his life, there were many people who finally received peace knowing that yes, there is a heaven, and it is more than we could ever imagine. People were given divine glimpses of their loved ones and peace came to those who had been tormented with doubt, unable to let go and find rest.  I thank God for Colton's message, and I pray that he continues to fulfill the call God has placed on his life through this miraculous encounter with the living God.

The movie also introduces Akiane Kramarik, a young girl who at the age of four had a divine encounter with God, and He gifted her with not only the gift of painting, but of of music and other talents.  She uses her gifts to encourage and bless others, especially children who are in need. Studying her life from the beginning will inspire skeptics, as through this experience she was able to lead her atheist mother to Christ.  She is touching the world through the messages in her art, her music and her life, as is Colton through his life and ministry.  I believe there is a Colton and an Akiane in each of us, and we are never too young, too old, too sick, too unlearned to be used by God to touch our world with His love. 

Here in New Mexico in the area where I live Holy Week is taken very seriously.  While the government tries to take God out of every institution or business established on His principles, my small area of the world remembers and observes, and we watch and we wait in expectation, in awe of His greatness.

Before moving to Velarde I spent many years in Chimayo which is the destination for hundreds of people who make the pilgrimage to the Sanctuario de Chimayo to honor the memory of Jesus' death on the cross . In all the years I've lived here I have yet to make the walk, but I hope to make it before I leave.  I imagine it to be a reflective, spiritual time of soul searching and meeting God on the journey, ending with death to self, laying all at the foot of the cross. Many receive answers to prayer and miracles of physical healing.  If you could only be present to witness the quiet journey along the roads that lead to Chimayo, you would understand and be amazed by numbers of people who flock to this place hidden in the trees.

There's another place I dream of going, another walk I want to take called Camino de Santiago de Compostela in Spain.  It was popularized in the movie 'The Way' with Emilio Estevez and Martin Sheen.  It is a personal journey thousands of pilgrims make each year, covering a far greater distance, 500 miles from France over the Pyrenees to Galacia.  It is not easy, and the way can become lonely and hazardous, but once traversed the price is worth the journey. There are many reasons people make the journey, but for most, if it doesn't begin as an intensely spiritual quest, it becomes one in the end.  Anyone who sets out to conquer the distance ultimately comes face to face with truth along the way. Any for many it is a place revisited, traveled again and again.

Although these pilgrimages are wonderful experiences not everyone can travel to Europe or even to Chimayo, New Mexico, but we can encounter truth, love, and find peace in our daily walks with the Lord.  We can kneel at the cross each day in our homes, as we drive to and from work, doing errands or otherwise being engaged in our daily activities.  He is always present, always eager to speak to you, desiring to spend time with you, wanting only the best for you. He died for you, for me, so that we may life and life eternal.

Today I chose to spend my Easter alone with God.  There are times I cannot bring myself to leave His presence. Times my heart cannot share with another how much I love Him and desire to serve Him in everything I do, in everything I say or write.  I cannot expect another person to fully understand what I hold in this heart of mine, but each person understands in their own way what I mean.  Each relationship with our Lord is ours alone, and the time we spend at His feet listening, praying, loving is intensely our own.  I challenge you to seek Him today, and to encounter Him personally in your life. You will never be the same again, nor would you want to return to the life you knew before.




No comments:

Post a Comment