Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Weapons of Our Warfare

 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh; 
For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the 
pulling down of strongholds; Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that 
exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity
 every thought to the obedience of Christ.

2 Corinthians 10: 3-5


 I have been reading 1 Kings which introduces the mighty prophet of God, Elijah, who did mighty miracles in the power of God.  You may recall his greatest battle against King Ahab when he challenged him and his prophets of Baal in a showdown. "If the Lord is God, follow him! But if Baal is God, then follow him!" (1 Kings 18:21)  You know the outcome.  God proves He alone is God, and the prophets of Baal die!  The next part is interesting.  Ahab reports back to Queen Jezebel that Elijah had killed his prophets of Baal, and she threatens Elijah's life. After all the mighty works of God, Elijah runs and hides when he learns of this threat against his life.  Very interesting how one day we are strong in the power of the Lord, and the next laying in the dust, isn't it?!  Elijah goes to the wilderness, sits under a broom tree and asks to die. I'll let you read the rest of the story for  yourselves if you don't already know it.  In the end, God picks up his mighty prophet, dusts him off, and sets him back on his path.  I love the story, as it encourages me that I am not the only one who has days like that!  And just think Elijah will be one of the two witnesses who will appear during the Tribulation.  He didn't even die, rather he was swept away by a chariot of fire!  Now this man was special in God's eyes and sent to bring Him glory!

While I was writing my daily blog I was struggling over some things, as we all do.  Since ending the daily writings after my return to work, I must say I have slowly fallen back into the drudgery of defeat.  My job is very complex and detailed.  Yesterday I was so overwhelmed with concerns that I had a literal meltdown.  I have always enjoyed helping people, and I am told that I do this job well, but because I care so deeply I tend to take things to heart that I have no control over.  It makes me so discouraged when I am powerless to do anything to change a situation.  It is part of who I am.  But it also is a detriment to my physical and mental health. 

Each morning before I begin my work I have my quiet time with God.  Yesterday as I was reading the commentator said:  "The same heat from the sun both hardens the brick and melts the butter.  How do you react when the heat is on? Before the first crisis of your day arrives (and count on it - today will have its share!) spend some preparation time with your Crisis Counselor to get his perspective on your problems. You'll find his patented prescription in James 1:2-4. Read it, write it out, and carry it with you. Then you can respond rightly when those crises come!"  So....I did as instructed, prayed, started my day, and within an hour I was put to the test!  Satan knows exactly where to aim the arrow!  My huge heart, integrity, and moral courage were shot full of holes.  Unfortunately, I did not fare well, but eventually, after a major meltdown, I was myself again... or better at least.  As I cried out to the Lord I realized why all of this is happening.  Well, it is not rocket science.  I have been standing in the gap for some friends, waging warfare against the enemy and his lies, so I guess he was trying to silence me.  He didn't exactly silence me, but I did not fight the true enemy. Plus people who rely on my cool head were frightened when "Linda" was not herself.

We get so bogged down with the daily drama that we fail at times to realize the true warfare is not with people, rather we are battling the enemy of our souls who wants nothing less than to destroy us any way he can.  He knows his time is limited.  And we need to be vigilant, not giving in to our anger or frustration over things we cannot control.  I asked God to forgive me for my lack of faith and trust in Him, and He always does, but I feel so badly that I failed after being warned in my morning devotions!  But that is the way it goes, isn't it?!  I have been working long hours, not eating properly, not getting enough rest and down time, and the consequence of not taking care of myself is what happened yesterday.  It is not just one thing but a combination of factors.  So today I breathed deeply, and I tried to keep my focus on what I could do, and prayed that God would take care of the root of all the problems.  And He did!  I saw His hand at work in a series of emails coming my way. Someone listened with a gentle nudge from the Crisis Counselor!

Tomorrow will most likely be another merry-go-round, but I pray that I can keep my eyes fixed on the Author and Finisher of my faith and remember the words above, "the weapons of our warfare are not carnal!"  Hope you remember it as well. Stand your ground and pray!  The battle is His!

No comments:

Post a Comment