Sunday, April 27, 2014

Yet To Be

Anyone who knows me understands that I am a sucker for a great movie, especially ones with heart plus a moving soundtrack.  I can be moved to tears over music, even from an animated story.  But then my mind comes alive with well written science fiction as well.  This weekend I have been watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy.  J R R Tolkien was a genius! 

The movie is full of great quotes like:

“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam

 “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.”
 – Galadriel

 “I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the Ages of this world alone.”
– Arwen

“A day may come when the courage of men fails… but it is not THIS day.” – Aragorn


Sam: [Both are overcome by exhaustion] Do you remember the Shire, Mr. Frodo? It'll be spring soon. And the orchards will be in blossom. And the birds will be nesting in the hazel thicket. And they'll be sowing the summer barley in the lower fields... and eating the first of the strawberries with cream. Do you remember the taste of strawberries?
Frodo: No, Sam. I can't recall the taste of food... nor the sound of water... nor the touch of grass. I'm... naked in the dark, with nothing, no veil... between me... and the wheel of fire! I can see him... with my waking eyes!
Sam: Then let us be rid of it... once and for all! Come on, Mr. Frodo. I can't carry it for you... but I can carry you!

Now if you know the movie, you have to admit those are great lines, especially when spoken as the music begins to swell.  Okay, I know I can get carried away, but that isn't a bad thing, is it?!

When I am in one of my melancholy moods, times when I am thinking back over my life, wondering about the future, I tend to watch the movies that inspire me, give me hope.  I have shared several of those with you, and no doubt will continue to fill your mind with all sorts of wonderful music, movies, books.  It's why I write..to encourage and inspire.

My parting thought to you is from the closing of The Lord of the Rings, before Frodo goes off on his last great adventure.  He writes:



“How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on, when in your heart you begin to understand there is no going back. There are some things that time can not mend. Some hurts that go too deep... that have taken hold.”

 

Something I think about quite often. But then I stop to consider the possibilities of new beginnings and the hope of yet to be!  That's something worth considering.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment