7/19/2026
"Let my prayer be set forth before Thee as incense;
and the lifting of my hands as the evening sacrifice."
Psalm 141:2
Sunday morning, the birds are singing ever so sweetly this morning as the sun rises and the rays pierce the skies. Their melody brings songs to my heart. Often I listen to music as I sit here quietly enjoying the view from my window. Tim Janis is a YouTube artist who plays soft instrumental music while sharing nature's abundance from different areas of the world. But my favorite scenes come from the snow-kissed mountains of the Southwest where I spent almost half of my life. As the music plays Tim records the sounds of nature. As the birds sing along with his songs, the birds outside my window join in the chorus with their own sweet melodies, offering an early morning concert in praise to God. His masterpieces are always the best!
Music affects me greatly whether it be simply instrumental, supported by beautiful landscapes and God's creatures great and small, or whether it be the elaborate orchestras, medieval minstrels, or joyous praise! As I listen words form on my lips and worship fills my heart. I am in the presence of my Father. Symphonies of heaven! So, as I am praying or reading my Bible, the words become so much more alive to me. It's as if they dance on the pages rejoicing in the melodies, each line becoming praise. Sitting silently often brings new revelation or an answer to prayer.
As I sit quietly before the Lord this morning my silent prayer continues with Psalm 141:3-4, "Set a guard, O LORD, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips. Do not incline my heart to any evil thing." My prayer is always to be set apart to do my Master's will, drawing ever closely to Him.
As if by clockwork the melody of a favorite hymn sweetly plays, and my mind goes back to a time in history when I last heard these chords playing in the background amidst panic and pain, the voices mixed with screams of terror and cries for mercy, children clinging to their parents, stewards not knowing how to help. I am of course referring to the sinking of the Titanic, and the music playing "Nearer My God to Thee." I recently watched the remake of this great classic first seen as a child, embellished quite a bit in modern days, but still my memory was fresh and the ending certain. God has a way of transporting our souls when He wishes to teach us compassion.
God can use movie soundtracks to evoke memories of the past whether the music is tragic or magical. It has always had that affect upon me, perhaps because I lean towards the artistic and creative. It's part of who I am, but it helps me relate to situations and to people and the difference attitudes - the places in their hearts. Survival instincts somewhat, I imagine.
The Psalm mentioned above requests a guard on my lips and watch care of my heart keeping me from evil thoughts or deeds. The enemy is so deceitful and clever in his ways. He has the innate character of distorting beauty and making evil look inviting. Music can also be used in that manner, so we guard our hearts again the devil's counterfeits. The Lord deserves the highest praise - always the first thing - the only thing! We must always keep our hearts and minds stayed on Christ Jesus. The words of the song the violinists were artfully playing offered hope for the 2, 224 passengers that day, hope of an eternal destiny.
"Nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee! E'en though it be a cross that raiseth me, still all my song shall be, nearer, my God, to thee; nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!
Though like the wanderer, the sun gone down, darkness be over me, my rest a stone; yet in my dreams I'd be nearer, my God, to thee; nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!
There let the way appear, steps unto heaven; all that thou sendest me, in mercy given; angels to beckon me
nearer, my God, to thee; nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!
Then, with my waking thoughts bright with thy praise, out of my stony griefs Bethel I'll raise; so by my woes to be nearer, my God, to thee; nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!
Or if, on joyful wing cleaving the sky, sun, moon, and stars forgot, upward I fly, still all my song shall be,
nearer, my God, to thee; nearer, my God, to thee, nearer to thee!"
The words unsung as the music softly played as many were welcomed home into the arms of their waiting Savior!
No comments:
Post a Comment