7/21/2026
"The busyness of the day cut my time short leading
to the pain, the pill, the sleep, and here I am now - awake
at 3:21 am at the night watch."
Babbling of a Dazed & Confused Ole Lady
In an attempt to beat the rain yesterday afternoon, I cranked up the lawn mower, only to be frustrated with the inability to cut wet grass. I thought the sun had been out long enough to dry out the section of grass I was attempting to mow, but I was mistaken. In the process I got stung or bitten by an insect and ended up with an allergic reaction requiring me to take an antihistamine. This turned out to be a mistake, as I have developed a hypersensitivity to the drug, whereby I fall asleep very quickly. Since it was raining I couldn't even get the yard finished, so I moved my attention to inside the home with the hope of getting some needed work done. I was still working on my blog, so I attempted to sit down and type. The pain in my hip and leg had begun to flare up, plus the antihistamine had kicked in. My bed was covered with books and papers, where I had been sorting and filing, so I decided I'd lie down on the rug. I think it was around 3 pm or so when I laid down, and I awakened to the sound of my son calling me for supper. I was so disoriented by that time, the pain worse, that it took him three attempts to awaken me.
After struggling into up and into the kitchen, sitting down at the table I still felt so drugged that can't remember what we ate. I do recall saying some form of gibberish twice that made absolutely no sense, as if I was talking in my sleep. I'm sure by then Daniel was wondering what was wrong with me, although he did know I had taken the antihistamine. I decided that I had better lie back down, so I went into the living room and plopped on the couch. I woke up five hours later, still disoriented, Daniel already in bed. My bed was still covered, so I laid back down on the couch, waking again at 1:30 am. By then my senses were a bit improved, and I knew where I was. I decided to try to finish my blog, and complete a few other computer tasks, but by 3:22 am I decided I'd best give it a rest and go back to bed. I did manage to write a few notes about being in the night watch as watchman on the wall, not accomplishing much, and something about a Congresswoman listening to me discuss an issue. I guess I was still not myself! Remind me to make a note - "NEVER take antihistamines again under any circumstances!"
I remember waking up again around 5:30 am, remembering I had not used my eye drops. So, I reached over, and somehow pushed something, making me fall out of the bed, hitting my head on the corner of the sewing machine table beside the bed before I landed on the floor on my bad hip. Daniel was getting up about that time as I was sitting in the floor holding my head. So, I got another ice pack for my hip and leg and decided to lie back down. Probably not a wise decision after clunking myself in the same side of the head where I had the last brain trauma. Finally, about 6:45 am, I got up and stayed up, still feeling so tired, sore and in pain. I decided to drink my coffee and read before the global call. Hopefully, I won't fall out of my rocking chair and do another slam dunk of the head. There aren't many places I haven't hit. Perhaps there's a lesson to be learned in all of this, but alas for today I'm hoping for clear skies to finish mowing my yard. If it doesn't work out, well then, I guess I'll play another game or when all else fails...I'll dance!
No comments:
Post a Comment