Saturday, July 25, 2026

Day 204 Slow Leaks

This may contain: an old woman with a blue shawl smiles at the camera and has a quote from mother teresa on it 

7/23/2026

"We live by demands when we should

live by priorities."  

Daily Walk

 

My time spent in Isaiah becomes richer and sweeter each day, even though the messages are strong and difficult to hear. I cannot imagine all that the prophet Isaiah endured as he answered the call of God to go to the people of Israel and deliver these harsh messages, then watch as they refused to listen and hardened their hearts. The commentator states with confidence that "Before God can use a person greatly, He must bruise him deeply." I believe that the Apostle Paul could certainly attest to that bit of truth. He endured so much hardship that in 2 Corinthians 1:8 he said, "For we do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, of our trouble which came to us in Asia: that we were burdened beyond measure, above strength, so that we despaired even of life." While it is said that Isaiah went through the process of declaring the wrath of God against Israel and the nations fearlessly, he did not do so tearlessly, as he was concerned for the welfare of others, particularly his own people. He had foreseen the destruction of the Temple and the carrying away of the ark of the Lord that held God's presence, or was a symbol, as God's presence can never be contained. He wanted to see Israel turn back to God, and I hope that I can have the same passion today as I pray for my country to turn back to God and for Israel to realize that they missed the Messiah's first arrival. Don't miss Him again! 

What the commentator was describing was the "melting season." Again, although I have read and re-read the Bible in its entirety annually for many years, each day I am made aware of a fresh insight. This expression was one of those "misses." I was recently reading through one of my older journals where I noticed a comment where a pastor had prayed for God to "melt me." At the time I had no idea why someone would pray like that. I recall the words of the old hymn Spirit of the Living God Fall Afresh on Me, with the familiar chorus: "Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me; break me, melt me, mold me, fill (use) me, Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me." I remember singing those lyrics over and over, and I still do from time to time. Still, I'm not fully understanding the pastor's prayer. The only reason I had asked for prayer was for my husband's needs at the time, not haughtily, but very quietly, meekly, like a good little wife. Perhaps he saw deeper into my soul. So, I never questioned it, like many things I continue to wonder about. Later in 2 Corinthians in Chapter 12 Paul mentions that God gave him a thorn in the flesh (v7) lest he become exalted - too persnickety - concerning the dreams and revelations he was having at the time. It's important that we have the right motives and examine our hearts daily. So, as I go through my "melting seasons" I continue to pray and sing, "Spirit of the Living God, fall afresh on me!"

Israel was being warned of the suffering she would endure, the siege and calamity, because of the idolatry she had been drawn into by compromising God's word and carelessly indulging in the sins of those who formerly inhabited the landMany times Israel had fallen into the same traps of the enemy and had to be disciplined harshly, and each time they had repented and mercifully been forgiven by God, promising never to stray again, to be obedient, only to fail once again. God's patience was growing thin! The commentator aptly put it that "No nation plans to collapse," rather it is a "slow leak." This can also be witnessed in our lives of "little foxes" that ruin the fruitfulness of our witness to the world. One little habit or mistake that removes our ability to be salt and light. Sadly, this is becoming more and more prevalent in our churches today as they compromise, allowing the culture to infiltrate the church, rather than the opposite effect. We are told to go out into the world and share the Gospel of Jesus Christ, making disciples of all nations, not to follow the example of the world where lawlessness and doing things that seem right to a person is the way to show our love and acceptance to a lost and hurting world. We are taught in scripture to live a holy, separate life, set apart so we can represent Jesus to those looking for the only Truth, Way, Life!

Life gets very busy, and many of us are called to wear multiple hats, but the wise commentator once again sheds light on the subject saying, "It has been well said, 'Our days are identical suitcases - all the same size - but some people can pack more into them than others.'" Also, "In the midst of your busy schedule, never lose sight of the fact that God is busy, too - on your behalf!"   

When I was much younger I used to sing special music in church, and I loved the song by Steve Green, People Need the Lord, and it adequately voices the call of God, the life we are told to live vicariously for Godalways sensitive to the needs of others:

"Every day they pass me by, I can see it in their eyes; empty people filled with care, headed who knows where. On they go through private pain, living fear to fear. Laughter hides their silent cries only Jesus hears. 

People need the Lord, people need the Lord. At the end of broken dreams He's the open door. People need the Lord, people need the Lord. When will we realize people need the Lord.

We are called to take His light to a world where wrong seems right, what could be too great a cost for sharing life with one who's lost. Through His love our hearts can feel all the grief they bear. They must hear the words of life only we can share.

People need the Lord, people need the Lord. At the end of broken dreams He's the open door. People need the Lord, people need the Lord. When will we realize, people need the Lord."   

I've written often about the importance of followers of Christ keeping our focus on Jesus, being careful to spend time in His presence, growing in the knowledge of God's will, transformed into His image - more of Him and less of us. Something that deeply touched my life was a testimony I heard Nick Vujicic share about how he grieves daily about his limitations in not being able to play with or hold his son. Nick is an amazing Australian evangelist and motivational speaker who was born without arms and legs, a rare condition known as Tetra-Amelia Syndrome. He is married to a beautiful woman of God, Kanae Miyahara, and they have four beautiful children. God is using him greatly to bring hope to others who feel "less than," because he knows the way our mighty God can do amazing things! With our God nothing is impossible!

Nick shared these three questions he asks his wife, and she asks him - the same questions that he asks God each day. I share them for our consideration:

 "What am I doing you want me to stop doing; what am I not doing that you want me to start doing; what am I doing well that you want me to keep on doing?"

Questions we should all be asking to keep us on the right path - not succumbing to culture's cries for acceptance that lead to compromise, but focusing on what Jesus said about true love and compassion that cares enough to tell someone the truth in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment