Sunday, May 18, 2014

Part 1: The Way of Understanding

Dear Brother,
is your life full of difficulties and temptation? 
Then be happy, for when the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow. 
So let it grow, and don't try to squirm out of your problems.  
For when your patience is finally in full bloom, then you will be ready for anything, strong in character, full and complete. 
 If you want to know what God wants you to do, ask Him, and he will gladly tell you, 
for he is always ready to give a  bountiful supply of wisdom to all who ask him; he will not resent it.  
But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to tell you, for a doubtful mind will be as unsettled
as a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind; and every decision you then make will be uncertain, 
as you turn first this way, and then that. 
If you don't ask with faith, don't expect the Lord to give you any solid answer. 

James 1:2-8
The Daily Walk Bible

From early childhood I have found comfort and strength in reading the promises of God found on the pages of His Holy Word, the Bible.  On December 25, 1959 my daddy gave me a Bible I still carry with me to this day, tattered, torn, well loved, because it was given to me by my earthly father who now sits in heaven with my eternal Father.  I used to proudly carry it with me to public school and read the words of wisdom over a loud speaker in the mornings it was my week to do so as part of the Honor Society. Those cherished moments follow me through my days now, as I remember a time when the Name of God was indeed where we, a nation, put our trust.

In the past few days words, thoughts, songs have been coming so quickly that I can scarcely get them down on paper. Something is happening to me, and I am understanding more now than I have in awhile.  I have been reading through the Bible each year for so many years I cannot remember when I first began the yearly pilgrimage through eons of time with Holy Spirit as my Guide. I realize each time I pick up my Bible, revisiting the pages, I see new revelations of truth that were not evident to me before, or forgotten. God is always so faithful to me, to us all, if we abandon our "reasoning" and simply wait on His good timing.  

In The Daily Walk Bible, the commentator for today's reading in the book of Job says, "God is committed to developing patience in your life - and one way he accomplishes that is through the crucible of problems. Remember faith in the furnace is faith that is being refined, strengthened, and deepened."  He further says in summary, "Trials are blessings when we can bless God for trials."

In this short passage today God is taking me two places,  the first the way of understanding, and the second the path of healing.  Whereas I want to touch on each point, today I will only speak of the first, the way of understanding.  My blogs have been journeys, questioning the direction God would have me take.  I have always stood firmly on scripture, trusting those favorite passages acknowledging God's faithfulness.  Such as:


Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence not yet seen.
Hebrews 11:l

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not to your own
understanding.  In all your ways acknowledge Him,
and He will direct your path.
Proverbs 3:5-6

But today I realize that in doubting myself, my ability to "see" and "hear" God I have been missing an important part of what it is He has been trying to teach me or rather show me along the way these past years.  Whenever I discuss my uncertainties about my journey with my Denver prayer partner, I tell her that God never changes the vision He gave me years ago. And as my heart cries out to Him for understanding about which path to take, He shows me again the same vision.  I tell Him I understand the vision, but how, dear Father, do I get from point A to Z.  And then I feel a silence, but I now understand that Holy Spirit has been speaking to me all along, and I did not hear, and I most certainly did not understand.  And now I am beginning to "see" through words I spoke to Him yesterday, which are, "You have been placing people in my life along the way who have a part to play in the plans you have given me."  And it is true!  I was sharing once again with someone about how amazing my life has been in spite of redirection, missed opportunities, and seemingly broken dreams, shattered relationships and my own illness and the illnesses of my own family.  God does indeed have a direction for me, for your lives!  And every step of the way, no matter what the cost, what the pain, He has been orchestrating the purpose He has for each of us! He does definitely make good out of every awful thing that comes into our lives, because He loves us, and He wants to prosper us, for us to be in good health.



"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord.
"They are plans for good and not for evil,
to give you a future and a hope."
 Jeremiah 29:11


But whatever is good and perfect comes to us from God, 
the Creator of all light, and he shines
forever without change or shadow.
James 1:17


And we know that in all things God works
for the good of those who love him,
who have been called according to 
his purpose.
Romans 8:28


 I am not a spontaneous person when it comes to making decisions that effect my life or those of the people I love.  For the most part every decision I have ever made over the course of my long lifetime has been to satisfy another person's nagging or putting the needs of another before the desires of my heart.  It seemed the right thing to do at the time, the honorable,  the God thing.  Maybe I have missed the boat or perhaps, and better still, I have learned more to benefit my own life and the lives of those who can learn by example.  By even making a wrong choice, or taking a side journey,  I have endured hardship, heartbreak, but learned patience, gained more compassion, more knowledge of others and more about the person I am and who God wants me to become. And it  has been worth the wait, and definitely worth the price. I am learning what it truly means to be set free, not concerned about how another views my life as walking in denial, being irresponsible when it comes to saving money for a rainy day.  Rather, I am living my life, using money to help people on their "rainy days", and God has blessed me all the more for it!  I did something!  And I am doing something with my life even if some do not see it or understand it.  God does!  And that is more than enough for me!

Don't you just hate it when an author has you hooked, by the seat of your pants, then leaves you hanging?!  Is that truly the proof of a good storyteller?  Well, I guess we'll see, as I am ending up my narrative at this point to continue on another day.  But until such time as I pick up in my story, spend some time in the word of God re-reading, listening, waiting. Maybe there's an answer you've missed in the noise of impatience or in the demands of another on how you should live your life. Wait on the Lord as the answer will surely come.





No comments:

Post a Comment