Thursday, May 15, 2014

This Day I Will

Whoever pursues righteousness 
and unfailing love
will find life, righteousness,
and honor.

Proverbs 21:21


My reading has taken me through the book of Esther where once more God is faithful to the children of Israel in delivering them from their enemies.  As the story ends today a new holiday (holy day), the feast of Purim, is established for all to remember the provision of God.  I'm reminded of the significance of each Jewish celebration which is specific for remembering times throughout the history of the Jewish people when God delivered, protected and provided for them.  As I think over the holidays we observe in our nation's history, I realize that each has purpose and meaning far beyond what we really consider today.  To me the majority of the time I welcome holidays as times I can have time off to rest from the demands of my work days.  But in fairness to myself I do remember the significance of each, as I am aware that without God's place in our history, this nation would have crumbled already.  Today we need to realize that if we don't stand up and fight for what we hold dear, this nation will soon completely fall apart.

When I began to write this blog it was with the express intention of speaking of establishing our own Day of Purim where we thank God for His daily blessings, and we celebrate feasting, giving gifts, reaching out to our families and communities in recognition of the faithfulness of God our Father.  Perhaps if we go beyond the norm the tide of this nation's ultimate demise will turn, and once more we will enjoy freedom in democracy. People will take note, and things will change for better.

I know the signs of Christ's return are all around us in the news, in the weather, and in our own lives as we see families being split apart and the church not reaching out to the lost sleep within their own congregations.  My heart is breaking as I see the things I do every day in my job, as I encounter the hopelessness people feel.  But the wonderful thing about the work I  do is that each day I can offer hope  to each person God brings into my path, and in some small way bring comfort.

It is my prayer that we will all look beyond the scope of our personal lives and family, and take the time to really look at the faces of the people you pass today as you go to work, or shop, take your children to school.  Take the time to listen to what God is saying to your heart about the needs around you, and then have the courage to smile, say hello, and if they respond, meet the need.  I promise you that God will honor your random acts of kindness, and your life will be changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment