8/21/2026
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately,..."
Walden by Henry David Thoreau
O, how I remember my college days when I was introduced to American and European literature. I particularly loved Henry David Thoreau, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Leo Tolstoy, the Bronte sisters, Jane Austen, and so, so many wonderful writers. I've often admitted that as a youngster I could never read enough - always off on some mental journey. I definitely was a dreamer! And, as I have also mentioned previously in my catalog of memories, I was known as an adventurer, a pioneer spirit, by my husband's relatives, because I'd decide to get in the car and take a trip on a whim or a moment's notice...or so it seemed to many. I prefer to think I planned a bit, especially when my three little ones were in tow. I was not foolhardy when it came to making certain that someone new my determine route for the day, and about when and where I planned to stop for the evening. When the children were very young, I was super guarded when it came to their welfare. We've been to quite a few large zoos in our time, and I tried to make certain that the children were well read.
I've been feeling a little restless recently, as it's been almost five years since I moved back to Virginia abandoning my beloved Northern New Mexico and my favorite hideaways. I particularly loved to escape to Sipapu, a small ski and summer resort hidden away in the back woods near Taos on a road leading to Mora, but it is my hope to stop by there the next time I do make it back to New Mexico to ask about working seasonally. I have dreams to upscale their gift shop, but we all have ideas! It would be nice to start using my gifts again, but then I imagine in a way I am with writing daily. Guess we'll see what comes of it!
I decided to take a short adventure, not far from home, for a couple of days, but alas, although I did make it out of the house eventually, after several delays, staying overnight in my determined destination, I did not plan well in advance what I may need. My diet is not like others, as I have some dietary restrictions, so I ended up not feeling too well and decided that one night away was more than enough. Besides which I had not done my investigation for lodging very well, and the place I stayed was not quite as I was led to believe. Still, although in not the best condition, the room was clean, and I had all I needed pretty much. The manager was very kind and available, and the area was picturesque country farming land and very quiet and peaceful. I believe an Amish farm was located just across the road, as there were "Share the Road" signs with a horse and buggy pictured on it. The roads I traveled were narrow, rolling, with lush green forests typical of Virginia. As I sit here now, looking out my window at home I see the green field that lies between my neighbor's home and mine,freshly cut and nestled next to my lawn. It's been raining gently, so the air is fresh, the humidity is lower, and the breeze is welcomed. The forest across the way is very lush and green, but mostly I love my stately old maple tree and my dad's crepe myrtles. Beautiful beyond description!
The rain is gently falling with a slight, gentle breeze. The close of another day, another adventure.
No comments:
Post a Comment