8/17/2026
"I ought to spend the best hours of the day
in communion with God."
E. M. Bounds
Last night I was so exhausted that I fell asleep, sitting on the sofa, with a glass of iced tea in my hand. Fortunately, I had finished the last of my tea, before I completely dozed off, waking up to the sound of the glass hitting the floor. For some reason it didn't fracture, not even a crack in the glass. It was only 10:30 pm, and I normally stay up a little longer. So I got ready for bed and was soon fast asleep. I remember waking up abruptly at 5:30 am knowing that I needed to pray. I repented for my lazy prayer habits recently, as I feel as if I have not been as attentive to everyone's individual needs as I should be. I have been so concerned with the inconsistencies I have been noticing within the groups, that I have begun to question every motive I have. That is if I even have any motives other than to lift up a need to prayer. The chaos and confusion of this world has reached into so many areas of ministries, and I am taken aback by the enormity of it all. So, I stepped back, still praying, but not with the same fervor.
My son, Daniel, was heavily on my heart, as well as some other individuals, so I began to seek Abba for direction. My "list" has grown so incredibly, and trying to keep one list updated has become impossible. So, I began with what has been written on my heart - just me and Abba, as it should be. Eventually I drifted back off to sleep after an hour or so, but I woke up again before the alarm went off. I remember dreaming a crazy dream, but I couldn't make much sense of it. At least I woke up in a better frame of mind, my thoughts more cohesive, my focus clear.
I noticed that my window had been closed in my room, and then in several of the rooms in the house. I was beginning to think I'd been sleep walking at some point in time. Apparently it rained early in the morning, and my son was up and closed the windows. He said it had been another gully washer, but oddly, I slept through it. I guess I needed the sleep and rest to prepare me for my day, although it has been less problematic than most I've been having recently. I did receive one email that made me wonder if common sense had completely been removed from people's thought processes. So many problems could be solved today if people would stop wasting time on senseless habits that lead to ridiculous ideas that are nothing but nonsense. I call those distractions not worthy of anyone's time or energy, and yet...!! So I did what any intelligent individual would do, I unsubscribed.
I've been watching the movie Jesus Revolution about the 1971 movement that began in California at Calvary Chapel, Pastor Chuck Smith, that broke out when a group of hippies were invited to his church. It's also the story of Greg Laurie and his spiritual journey that led him to pastor Harvest Ministries in California. The movement spread across the United States, and has been called the largest. I used to listen to Pastor Chuck every day when I worked in the lab at Medical College in Richmond, and I now host a group online study for Harvest Ministries. I've been involved with his ministry since the Covid outbreak, but the story is not the usual way things begin. Nonetheless, I'm still hosting, and ladies are still gathering. Although Pastor Chuck has passed on to his eternal home, Pastor Greg still has annual Harvest Crusades and performs baptisms at Pirate's Cove, as noted in the movie. It's an inspirational "must see" movie.
Waking up early and spending the first quiet hour alone with God, before the cat hears motion and begins to meow, or I reach for a cup of coffee or turn on music, is the best time to listen to what our Father is saying. We get so caught up in doing "good things" that sometimes time alone with Him takes second place to even the cup of coffee. Even Jesus had to get alone with His Father: "He went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night." (Luke 6:12). There's something about going up the mountain to get alone to pray. I know I've missed the mountains of New Mexico where I spent the better part of my life. But then I remember as a child how I'd meet Him on the big rock in the Puryear's woods or up a tree.
"In prayer, the heart leaps to meet with God just as a child runs to his mother's arms, ever sure that with her is the sympathy that meets every need." E.M. Bounds
No comments:
Post a Comment