Saturday, August 8, 2026

Day 219 Gram's Day Out!

This may contain: an old man riding a skateboard down the street with flowers in his hand and a purse on his hip 

8/7/2026

"The Rule is you have to dance a little bit in 

the morning before you leave the house,

because it changes the way you walk out into the world."  

-Unknown

 

It's been a crazy, hectic week, with pressure on every side, so I decided that I'd take a little spin out into the world today. When my sister arrived this morning, she came with flowers in one hand and cake in the other. The cake was for my son's birthday that she missed, and since the cake was not gluten free, he devoured it without so much as giving me a sniff of that carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. The sunflowers were for me, so I stuck them in a pot, grateful, but lamenting the loss of one forbidden taste of that scrumptious-looking cake! 

So, after that I was ready and raring to get the measurements done and hit the road for our great adventure. Not everyone enjoys going to Home Depot and Lowe's, as it means work to be done, but I love it! It's an adventure and a dance down every aisle! I've noticed that there are many senior employees working at both stores, and sometimes I do consider applying for a part time job. It seems like great fun, and with my creative mind, I could well imagine fun things to do with my fixer upper home. So much to do and so little time!

We weren't able to pick up the supplies for the well house, but I did give the measurements to my sister who will purchase the supplies for me and bring them over in her truck. Then we'll begin our labor of love in fixing my little casita right up. We discovered flooring on sale that will fit nicely in my kitchen, and an idea for storage and to cover up a particularly difficult area next to the chimney. With the rock quarry down the highway blasting rock underground, my house has many cracks in the plaster walls, as do most everyone's in the neighborhood, so I have been told. The chimney goes down into the basement to the old oil furnace. The repairman who checks it out each year says it's a monster, but I pray that it hangs on for as many years as it can last. The underground blasting probably is unsettling to the foundation, causing the cracks. But with a bit of mud and creativity I will be able to tackle this project with love and imagination. I'll be sure to document all my miss-matched paints in creating my authentic Santa Fe home in North Dinwiddie, Virginia. Of course, I don't have the funds to do a really upscale job, but using my ideas with a creative edge, genius will flow! Well...hopefully!!

We checked out a new diner in Hopewell where the customer service more than made up for the cuisine. The food was simple, and they were extremely busy with local patrons. The food was good, but with my food allergies, I have to be careful. If I cheat on my diet, I pay in pain. They had a long list of homemade desserts, but I was good and behaved myself with great restraint. 

Although we did make one more stop to check out a business who sold sheds and storage units, some large as barns, we didn't make any definite plans for purchase, as I never am quick to act unless I see an extremely good deal. We hurried back home, and after playing with Fae for a little while, my sister left for home. She enjoys getting out, she said, doing something other than what she does at home, but she is really busy with all she has to get done with her garden and other household affairs. She's been refurbishing a house next door their son, but work has been slow. Life gets busy, as I well know, so I am grateful for any time she has for her ole sister. 

Shabbat Services begin shortly, so I'll call this a wrap. No great spiritual wisdom for today, just practical advice. Spend time with your family and enjoy them while you can. We are not promised tomorrow, and each day is a special time to spend together, whether working or playing. But while you're enjoying life, be sure to make Christ the center of it all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment