Monday, September 7, 2026

Day 250 Ein Kamocha Adonai

This may contain: a painting of two women sitting on the floor with their arms in the air and one woman holding her hand up 

9/7/2026

"God, I look to You, You're where my help comes from;

give me vision to see things as You do.

God, I look to You, I won't be overwhelmed;

give me wisdom to know just what to do."

God I Look To You

by Bethel Worship

 

"Ein kamocha Adonai" is Hebrew for "There is no one else like You, LORD," the words from a favorite song of similar title. Our worship leader was singing the song this morning in English and Hebrew, as we often do in the International Christian Embassy Jerusalem daily morning calls. I love the Hebrew language, but I am also rather fond of my own two languages, English and Spanish. When the children were young we tried to speak Spanish so they would be bilingual and could communicate with their older relatives in New Mexico and California, but the trail ran cold, and even in high school, only one wanted to study further. I always told my children, as well as those I taught or tutored, that knowing more than one foreign language would be beneficial, but no one cared to listen. I admit my own use of the language fell to the wayside until I began to work for the Army, and then much later when I was employed as a case manager before I retired. I tried to teach those interested at my church in a small group, but participation became decreased as enthusiasm waned with increase in difficulty. 

It's amazing how I can tune out people when they are chatting in English or Spanish, unless the conversation includes me. Since I've been home I began using the application Duolingo with a pesty owl named Duo whose emoji actually changes expression as the day progresses, and I have not completed a lesson. It is rather fun to peeve the inanimate emoji that thinks it can intimidate me. The review is good, plus adding new words to my vocabulary, modern words for the same objects, has been fun. I love to sing in Spanish as well. I believe that music has a healing and peaceful effect on the mind and body, especially Christian songs based on the Word of God, like hymns.

This morning at exactly 3:23 am I was awakened by a phone call from one of my dearest friends in Northern New Mexico. Sharon's husband Andy had suffered a stroke, and the ambulance was on the way to the hospital. She was calling for prayer. Honestly, I just said okay, as she was whisked away to the hospital by her husband's son and his girlfriend. I was shocked, and I didn't know how to pray, so I just said "HELP! Lord, help!" Andy is in his 80's, and over the years he has suffered some pretty serious health issues, to include dying on the table and being resuscitated. We've seen miracles in his life and in Sharon's many times over the years. Sharon believes in the power of God, and even in her emotional state, she said she believed in miracles, but she also knows that Andy's time here may be finished. God may be calling him home. We all must face that inevitable truth about the end of our days, but a Christian's prayer is always to finish the race set before us, to endure whatever comes, until we receive the crown of righteousness to lay at the feet of our Savior and Lord, Jesus.

At this writing Andy is responsive, and he has been taken off the resuscitator. Already God has been bringing him back, but we do not know His plan for Andy. So we continue to pray, and we speak life into the situation. I had shared a song with Sharon that I felt impressed by God to share with her with the instruction for her to sing it over him. The song has lyrics in English and Spanish - God I Look to You -and it is a very powerful song of the goodness of God. Later, I listened to Jenn Johnson from Bethel Church in California who wrote the song speak about how she came to write it. She was praying to God, telling Him that she felt overwhelmed. She felt Him say to her that if she continued to speak those words, she would be overwhelmed. So instead she wrote the words "I won't be overwhelmed," Sharon did share the song with Andy, but she did not sing it; nonetheless, the words got into His spirit, God answered our prayers, and he healing has begun. So we wait on God.

I've written very often about the power of our words. In fact I think I wrote yesterday or the day before, as God has always been very specific about the words we say and think. In Matthew 12:34 it says,  "Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks." Again, I share my favorite from Proverbs 18:21, "Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit." Words spoken to someone who is unconscious, told there is no hope, can respond when the prayer of faith is spoken over him. Miracles still happen, and we must never give up, unless Jesus comes to take us home. And even then we begin new life, a better life with Him in eternity. So, for now, the story continues, for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment