9/25/2026
"Communion with God is the
beginning of heaven."
Daily Walk
I picked up an old friend to read the other day, The Helper by Catherine Marshall, thinking it might be the perfect gift for a friend of mine who is in need of comfort, but who is also seeking a closer walk with Jesus. Catherine was married to Peter Marshall who served as the pastor of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church in Washington DC, and who also served as the chaplain to the US Senate. A movie was made about his life called A Man Called Peter, starring Richard Todd and Jean Peters, and it's one of my favorite movies. The Helper was written in response to Catherine's thirst for more understanding of the third member of the Trinity, Holy Spirit. In her desire to learn more about Him, she consulted the scriptures and commentaries, as well as other books devoted to the quest. She and Peter sought the gift God had planned for all who seek Him, all who need the power of the Holy Spirit as described by Jesus when He commanded His disciples to remain in Jerusalem until they receive power from on high. Many theologians quibble over the meaning of these words and when and how one receives Holy Spirit. I won't debate any of it, but I will tell you that Holy Spirit is the very presence of God who lives within us who teaches us all things regarding the life and teachings of Jesus Christ. One can indeed be filled with power from on high and be continually refreshed.
Peter Marshall died in 1949 after suffering a heart attack, but Catherine did not remarry until 1959 to Leonard LeSourd. In 1980 they founded Breakthrough Intercessors in response to the needs of so many people requesting prayer. They formed a 21 day cycle of prayer with requests going out to intercessors who prayed over the requests. I'm not certain when I joined the ranks of intercession for Catherine, but every three months I find myself in a rotation of 21 days of prayer for five people or requests. There are also five or so others who are praying for the same people at the same time as I am so there is agreement in prayer. I hadn't realized that I'd been doing this that long. Over the years I've joined other groups as well within the foreign missions field and for our own country, but this little group has become very special to me. I only wish I had had the opportunity to meet Catherine face to face. It seems as if I am becoming aware of other people I would have loved to have known personally, who have moved on to their heavenly home. But one day I'll be able to spend time with wonderful friends.
I decided that I'd re-watch the movie that I've watched so many times. Each time I watch it I cry. Peter Marshall was a mighty man of God who brought many changes to the stuffy historic ole Presbyterian Church, and he changed the lives of many young men and women heading off to war. As chaplain of the Senate he also touched raw nerves, as many of his sermons did at the church. He was a man of conviction who found God one night on his way from night school in the woods. When he responded to the call of God, he did so wholeheartedly. When he died suddenly Washington DC grieved, and I daresay that many who followed his life during that time experienced loss. Our US Senate today could use a man like Peter Marshall to speak boldly and clearly about the condition of the nation and the responsibility of leaders. Many times as I pray I wonder how else I can pray except to join Peter's heartfelt prayers that men would walk in truth with open eyes and a willingness to work together as one. The following is one prayer he prayed:
“Lord Jesus, thou who art the way, the truth, and the life; hear us as we pray for the truth that shall make all free. Teach us that liberty is not only to be loved but also to be lived. Liberty is too precious a thing to be buried in books. It costs too much to be hoarded. Help us see that our liberty is not the right to do as we please, but the opportunity to please and to do what is right.” (Reverend Peter Marshall)
Tomorrow night I'm on the prayer watch, praying for six members of Congress, and many times it's tough knowing how to pray with feelings so bitterly diverse and divided. But like Peter Marshall I stand on the Word of God, and I pray in faith not for what is seen but in hope for what is not yet seen. That is faith, and that is why we need the power of Holy Spirit dwelling within us, abiding with us each day, every moment of it. That's why Jesus told the disciples to wait. He knew they would need His Spirit working within them in order to face the evil hatred in the world. The same applies to us today as the wickedness increases, just as Jesus said.
Fellowship with God is what He intended for us when He created the Garden of Eden. It has always been his desire. It makes me happy knowing that Peter and Catherine sought the Lord for His fullness, and they shared that great joy with others, the gift of the person of Holy Spirit. Once we see Jesus for who He is we are changed forever, and this awareness can only come from the power of Holy Spirit, whom Jesus said He would send, in order to remind others of all He said and did. Holy Spirit, our Helper indeed! Manifest Your presence in our lives, O Lord, that we may see.
No comments:
Post a Comment