Friday, January 16, 2015

Day 16 - Tomorrow is a New Day!



We, the Ragamuffins, Misfits and Rabble of Velarde, New Mexico just finished our Bible study for the evening, and everyone has retired for the night back to their respective homes.  After an evening  of feasting on God's word flavored with Brennan's wisdom, then stuffing ourselves with goodies and yum yums, we can now relax and put our feet up and think about another day coming oh so soon.
But then, it's not quite that easy for me, and I often wonder what goes through minds about some of the things we share.

The most important thing about getting together in homes is the closeness of the group, as trust grows, barriers come down, leading to transparency and unconditional love and acceptance, the way it is supposed to be.  If one brother hurts, we all feel it and support them through the hard times.  It doesn't take much, just listening, a touch on the arm, or a hug.  Just knowing someone understands and is walking along beside you in prayerful support.  

Each time we come together God has His way, and I believe in one way or another hearts change.  I am learning as I walk daily with the Lord that although I may not always "feel" His presence, I know He is with me.  It's not a "head knowledge" type of "knowing", rather it's His promise to me that I trust so completely.  And at these times when the "noise" and confusion is so great that I cannot seem to find Him in the voices, if I listen just a wee bit more closely, there it is, the still, small voice reassuring me with the simple words I have learned to love...."Trust Me"...."trust ME"....!  Instantly the noise and voices and confusion vanish, and I am found in Him alone....trusting.  That is all He has asked of me over these past three years, and His love has never failed me.

We become so "busy" that we miss the commonplace things in Creation that speak of His presence, confirming His promise that He never leaves us or forsakes us. Brennan Manning wrote in the Ragamuffin Gospel, "So often we religious people walk amid the beauty and bounty of nature and we talk nonstop. We miss the panorama of color and sound and smell. We might as well have remained inside in our closed, artificially lit living rooms. Nature's lessons are lost and the opportunity to be wrapped in silent wonder before the God of creation passes. We fail to be stretched by the magnificence of the world saturated with grace. Creation doesn't calm our troubled spirits, restore our perspective, or delight us in every part of our being. It reminds us instead of  mundane chores: changing the page on the calendar or ordering our snow tires. We must rediscover the gospel of grace and the world of grace." (from Joan Puls, A Spirituality of Compassion)

We have lost the wonder of it all, because we lack the adoration of our beloved Abba Father.  In fact we do not truly know Him as Abba.  I often retreat to my quiet place just to "be" and be with Him.  I call it crawling into God's lap, and I know Him as "Abba Father" or "Daddy God".  Many who have not felt the love of their earthly fathers may not understand the concept of God as a "daddy," but He can be and is that very symbol of love in the most personal way.  I can tell Him anything, and He still loves me. I can say with King David that a day in His presence is worth a thousand anyplace else.

It's my prayer that Abba embraces my dear ones who need to feel His loving presence so much tonight, so I want to close this day of gratitude with a song shared with me by my dear friend, and a song I shared with the hurting few who gathered in my home tonight.  It should be our prayer for our nation and our world.  I pray it speaks to your hearts as it does to mine.  May tomorrow bring you a new day to live for Him!


 If We've Ever Needed You
by Casting Crowns

"Hear our cry, Lord, we pray
Our faces down, our hands are raised
You called us out, we turned away
We've turned away

With shipwrecked faith the idols rise
We do what is right in our own eyes
Our children now will pay the price
We need Your light, Lord, shine Your light

If we've ever needed You
Lord, it's now, Lord, it's now
We are desperate for Your hand
We're reaching out, we're reaching out

All our hearts, all our strength
With all our minds, we're at Your feet
May Your kingdom come in our hearts and lives
Let Your church arise, let Your church arise

If we've ever needed You
Lord, it's now, Lord, it's now
We are desperate for Your hand
We're reaching out, we're reaching out
We're reaching out

If we've ever needed You
Lord, it's now, Lord, it's now
We are desperate for Your hand
We're reaching out, we're reaching out

If we've ever needed You
Lord, it's now, Lord, it's now
We are desperate for Your hand
We're reaching out, reaching out

We need You now
Revive us now
We need You now"

Songwriters
HALL, JOHN MARK / HERMS, BERNIE

Published by
Lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kS_4VAX1a_A)

No comments:

Post a Comment