Monday, January 5, 2015

Day 5 - Praise the Lord!


 

This morning I woke up feeling so down in the dumps!  Thinking about going back to work after so many holiday breaks, knowing I have a full week ahead of me - 5 whole days! - did not encourage me to move from beneath my snug, warm covers this morning!  On top of that I felt an oppressive spirit trying to pull me down into the pit of despair. I'm becoming more savvy to the attacks of the enemy who wants to tire us out, burden us down, so he can turn around and finish us off.  Well, it doesn't work that way with me.  I am getting wise to his craftiness after playing tug-of-war with him for too long. I sent a text to my prayer partner, and I began to sing songs of praise!  Satan cannot stand to hear the sound of praises being sung to God, so he slinks away just like the scriptures say.  Until...the next attempt is made.

I thank God that He fills my heart with praise!  I am again grateful today for my upbringing as a child.  My dad wasn't a church goer in my younger years.  In fact he didn't really start going until after my daughter was born, his first grandchild. I guess it's something about grandchildren that can even melt the heart of the hardest case.  My mother was the one who inspired my creativity and "multiple personalities", as my kids call it.  Mama wasn't a puppeteer, but she did love to lead children's worship in front of the church.  Climb, Climb Up Sunshine Mountain was just one of the many songs we'd sing.  I can still see her turning as the lyrics played, "turn, turn from sin and doubting, look to God on high...."  I don't think she ever tried Father Abraham, a song that was popular when my children were small, but I have sung and performed it on many occasions.  It's fun to sing and play and learn about Jesus all in one.  Jesus loved children,as you may recall from the gospel accounts of His ministry.  In fact in order to enter the Kingdom of Heaven, He said we have to come as little children.

Think about those words..."become as little children...." What do you think He meant?  While standing in the line at the theater a few days ago waiting to purchase my ticket for Hobbit 3, I had a conversation with a fellow "over 60" lady.  We were discussing the advantage to being called "a senior".  I told her, "Yeh, we pay the same as the children do to get in!"  Then we laughed, because youngsters think that oldsters go backwards mentally when they reach a certain peak age.  But it didn't matter to me or my kindred spirit movie goer.  We were excited to be saving a little money on a ticket!  You'll see when you reach the golden years!

Jesus loved children, because children do not get so bent outta shape by every little thing. They are accepting, trusting, and they have no self-aggrandizement going on.  They simply are. When I take the time to separate myself just "to be" it feels like just that - freedom to come and accept the rest, peace, grace, help in time of need that our Father offers freely.  Just like a child accepts without questioning, because he knows and trusts our Lord.

I'm so grateful today to God for making me ...simply..."me"! For giving me the gift of song and a bit of "silliness" to encourage others to be free!  It's not all bad! I hope I can always enjoy life and laugh at myself. Better still, I hope I never get so stressed out that I cannot see the sunshine and enjoy the warmth of it on my face.  I love to go barefoot, climb trees, and yes, hang upside down.  Thank God for your life and look for the hidden treasures all around you and inside of you!  You don't have to look far for a reason to praise the Lord!



No comments:

Post a Comment