Friday, January 2, 2015

Day 2 - A Lifestyle of Praise



"For all that has been - Thanks!
For all that shall be - Yes!

Dag Hammarskjold



January announces a new year and a chance to begin anew. It's a time of reflection of the past, and a time to aspire to greater things in the commencing year.  In retrospect we are often haunted by things we wish we'd done differently or left undone, but rather than become stuck in the monotony of past regrets, why not make this a time of fresh beginnings!  A year of possibilities and courageously taking first steps in realizing your dreams, reaching for the seemingly unattainable!  Nothing is impossible, and it is never too late!  It all starts with a positive attitude and grateful heart.

My year began with sad news and unexpected events, and I am still a bit stunned by everything I have learned today. Everyday I am surrounded by people who are struggling with physical and mental disabilities, crippling pain, cause and effect, and death. Regardless of how aware we are of what might happen, we are never quite ready when it does.  This is why it is important to make each day count and to cherish the relationships we have with one another daily, taking nothing for granted.

Today I am grateful to God for His steadfast love and faithfulness to me and my family. Since moving here in 1987 it has been quite a journey, and although the wrong timing of our arrival in New Mexico appears to have dashed our hopes, destroyed our lives, and caused untold damage to the family unit, I assure you this is not the case. I choose to look at the person I have grown to become and the promises that are yet to be fulfilled rather than give glory to the father of lies.  I put my hope in nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness!  He has never failed me, nor left me alone, He is my one constant, and I give Him praise today for bringing us through some terrible storms. Today may have brought the flood waters rushing, but as I shared from Isaiah 43 yesterday, "we will not be drowned!"  He is greater still! 

As I end this day, I reflect on the miracle of God's strength in weakness, for the opportunity to share, encourage and support another person today.  With tragedy brings opportunities to stand strong and take hold of our faith.  If there was no rain to dampen our spirits, we would not appreciate the beauty of the light and the warmth of the sun.  I know that even in pain lessons are learned, and death brings new life.  I know that God has a plan and a purpose for everything He does or allows to happen, and I trust His judgment.  He promised me something, and regardless of whatever comes tomorrow, I know He will do what He says He will do. "He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it." (Thessalonians 5:24) If you're struggling, find courage in that truth.






No comments:

Post a Comment