Saturday, January 17, 2015

Day 17 - Thank Him for Peace

"Thank Him for the peace only total
forgiveness can bring."

The Daily Walk Bible


Have you ever questioned the presence of God?  In spite of all you know, learned, studied, felt, and lived you question His actions or lack thereof?  Then you are not alone.  Many of us go through periods of "spiritual dryness" when we become confused, distant, and even angry at God feeling He's not listening. Things happen after we follow all the "rules" and try with all our might to do what is right in God's eyes, yet everything seems to be crumbling at our feet, and we deny the presence of our Lord.  We look for answers, try to find someone to blame for what is happening, even God.  Always ultimately we feel the blame is His.

Do you remember the story of Abraham? God promised to multiply his offspring through a son of promise. Abraham trusted God, but the wait became too long, so Sarah, his wife, had another suggestion, and they followed through. You can read the story, but the point is that eventually at the age of 90 Sarah gave birth to Isaac, the son of promise just as God had spoken to Abraham  Abraham was 100 years old!  As the child grew God requested something totally unexpected of Abraham. He instructed him to take Isaac and offer him as a sacrifice.  Abraham didn't say, "but, Lord....!" he simply obeyed, and his trust in God was honored.

We think that our children are ours, but when they are born we dedicate them to the Lord for His service and His keeping.  We put our trust in Him to watch over our children, never thinking past that moment.  Sometimes we go through the motions of dedication without understanding what is truly behind the words.  Has God ever said to you, "Can I have your child's life?" meaning their living and breathing life? What would your response be?

Let me share a true story from my life.  As I have mentioned more than once moving to this land of enchantment has required much sacrifice and brought much pain and disappointment. One day as I was worshiping the Lord He showed me something wonderful as an answer to prayer. I remember being so excited as He gave me glimpses of things too wonderful to know, much less "see."  Then later on I was sitting in the bathtub, running the water, praying, and He spoke to my heart and said, "Can I have your children's lives?"  I remember it so clearly, although it has been so many, many years.  I knew exactly what he was asking of me.  I started to cry, my heart ached, because my children are such blessings to me.  They were my life, what gave meaning to every day.  But without hesitation I said, "Yes, Lord." And like Mary, I pondered these things in my heart.

Since that day I have endured more than anyone knows, as I am very careful with whom I share these stories. Many would not understand. Some would criticize. Others would be fearful.  But regardless of what has come to pass in each child's story, and often it is bleak and seemingly hopeless, I know in Whom I have believed, and I have never regretted my response to Him.

I have heard another voice so clearly as well. The enemy telling me if I didn't stop praying he'd destroy my family. And to the natural eyes it appears as if he has, but to my spiritual understanding and on Whom I stand, he cannot have what does not belong to Him. I have entrusted their lives to my Father, my Abba, my Daddy God.  He is my El Shaddai, the All Sufficient One; my Adonai, Master, Lord; Elohim, the God of Creation; Yahweh, God Eternal.

Proverbs 3:5-6 instructs "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart, and lean not to thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct thy paths." (King James Version) The Amplified Bible expands the verses to read: "Lean on, trust, and be confident in the Lord with all your heart and mind, and do not rely on your own insight or understanding. In all your ways know, recognize and acknowledge Him, and He will direct and make straight and plain your paths."

Not a day goes by that satan tries to bring doubt and discouragement into my life, into your lives. He will stop at nothing to rid you of your peace, steal your joy. But do not allow him to gain entry into your hearts, into your souls, your very lives.  Do not listen to him, because he is the father of lies, and he comes only to kill, to steal, and to destroy.  In John 10:10 Jesus says:"The thief comes only in order that he may steal and may kill and may destroy. I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance - to the full, till it overflows." (Amplified Bible)

Eternal life is the free gift of God paid for through the blood sacrifice of His one and only Son, Jesus Christ who willingly paid the price for us. There is always a price to be paid for things of great value. To whom much is given, much is required. How much are you willing to pay for putting your trust in Him? The high cost of discipleship, obedience to our Lord and King?

When tragedy strikes, and at some time or another it will surely raise its ugly head, do not fear. I understand what it is like to walk through a long, seemingly endless illness, through the dark night of the soul. Hearing the prognoses, the verdicts, the opinions of medical professionals and well-meaning friends and loved ones. It is so easy to become hurt by things that happen, to things said, to things done that lead to a tragic end. Do not become embittered, do not look for someone to blame, because unforgiveness is like a cancer that eats at your very soul and robs your heart of peace.  We must be willing to forgive, and to release the one we hold spiritually captive by our unforgiveness, lay the burden down at the feet of Jesus, and trust Him. It may not seem like it at the time, but He has a plan and purpose for each day of your life. You are His! Your family is His! Trust Him and find the peace that surpasses all understanding.  Release is sweet, and it enables you to take what comes each day resting in the fact that His ways are perfect.  Cry it out. Yell it out. But leave it at the feet of Abba.

If one of my children or all of them, whom I have entrusted into the hands of God, should die this day, I must have faith in what I have been told, and in what I have believed. He has been faithful to me, and I know that in spite of the things that have happened and are happening now, my children walk with God, and His words are engrafted upon their hearts, so I have nothing to fear in death...we have eternal life.

The Welsh poet Dylan Thomas so aptly said as did Paul in Romans 6:9 that "Death shall have no dominion."





No comments:

Post a Comment