Saturday, January 24, 2015

Day 23 - Love in Action



https://www.facebook.com/JesusChristRevival/photos/a.443620975688630.119112.124141810969883/809931642390893/?type=1



"Beyond the Blackboard" is a story of teacher, Stacey Bess, living in Utah teaching in a school called The School With No Name for homeless children.  It is an inspiring true story of a young woman who was assigned to a special project to teach in an impossible situation. The movie was based on her book Nobody Don't Love Nobody, which is about her first teaching job at a homeless shelter. It wasn't just her first job, it was the only opportunity she had, so off she goes to teach K - 6th grade and instead ended up teaching all K - 12th in a run down building without desks, books, or anything!  As a young, idealistic mother she felt the hopelessness of the situation, but she overcame valiantly to help not only the children but the parents as well.  It is a must see that will touch your heart and, hopefully, inspire you to greater humanitarian deeds.

 Beyond the Blackboard (2011) Poster

If you're really wanting to challenge your life other movies you find encouraging are "The Reading Room," "Freedom Writers," "To Sir with Love", and "Music of the Heart."

"To Sir With Love," deals with social and racial issues in the inner city of London.  

To Sir, with Love


"The Reading Room"  is a sentimental story about a man's promise to his dying wife to open a reading room, a place for people to learn to read.

The Reading Room (2005) Poster


"Freedom Writers" is based on the book The Freedom Writers Diary about another new, excited young teacher placed in a school that was formerly a high achieving school, but she was placed in a class of at risk kids, the "unteachables," in the system's eyes.  The story is remarkable, but the success comes with a great cost in the personal life of this young teacher.

FWPoster.jpg


"Music of the Heart" takes us to Harlem where a school teacher has the desire to teach inner city children to play the violin.

Music of the Heart (1999) Poster

If you know me at all you know I have a huge heart, and if I could I would open my arms to anyone, especially these dear ones who need to know they are loved, worth, gifted, and have purpose and meaning in their lives. I would love them, feed them, teach them, enable them, and send them out to pay it forward.  Such is the basis for my "Island of Misfits Toys," with me as the most misfit of all giving hope to the other ragamuffins and rabble in this world.  I hold on to my dream with a fierce tenacity, and it will happen!

As I end this day with the deepest of gratitude, this is my prayer:

"Thank you, Father, that there are people willing to give their time, service, and dedication for others. It is a true act of unconditional love poured from a heart of compassion.  One who sees into the depth of loneliness, mistrust, and violence so harsh that it leaves behind a scarred and wounded soul.  Please let us see through Your eyes, feel with Your heart, and give all of Your love to the ones imprisoned by the relentless battle of unworthiness and isolation. There are no hopeless causes! Only people like me, with feelings like others.  Let me see through your eyes of wisdom to  know how to answer the needs You always bring my way.  Thank You for trusting me with these precious ones and for showing me others battles needing to be faced.You know I love a good fight, and I know You are always by my side."



No comments:

Post a Comment