Monday, January 19, 2015

Day 19 - Thank You for Quiet Thoughts

The part of us that wants to become is fearless.

Joseph Campbell

I sit in quiet introspection and I reflect
on things that have been, things that may be,
things that will surely some to pass.

Linda Esquibel

 
My life is a contradiction...on the one hand I am the one who is fearless...the other....contemplative.  As I entered the new year I had the hope of slowing down, taking a little more time to just "be," but I also wanted to accomplish some things I had not completed in 2014.  I have been setting goals, which is a good thing to do in order to maintain focus, but in my case I seem to over set and over do.  I guess I don't know how to just let it go!
 
I am finding that I am more focused on being less concerned about the things I cannot control. It a fine art and one worth the effort.  I am given a great deal of freedom, and that is reassuring.  Still there's so much that needs to be done, so much that is left undone, and being the perfectionist, this is a difficult concept for me to grasp. Nevertheless, I am consciously making an effort to say, "that is enough!"

As I purpose daily to express my gratitude I am overwhelmed with the love of God.  Can you say that about your life?  Even Job in his suffering said, "If we take happiness from God's hand, should we not take sorrow too?" (Job 2:10) Brennan Manning says it this way, "The grace to let go and let God be God flows from trust in his boundless love." (Ragamuffin Gospel, "Grazie, Signore").

As I "begin anew" this year my reading has introduced me to the wisdom of Hopi Elder Thomas Banyacya in Angeles Arrien's book "Living in Gratitude."  He believes that as we envision possibilities that it is important to stop, consider, change, and correct. In so doing we have the opportunity to revisit our imaginings and adjust the vision to better meet our goals.  It's an interesting thought. The author invites us to consider his four steps as it relates to work, relationships, health and finances. Further, she asks, "What childlike curiosity and wonder are you currently bringing to your work, relationships, finances, health, and personal growth?"

Another practice for each day is this: "At the end of each day, notice what or who made you happy. Silently give gratitude for each person or circumstance that brought joy into your life on this day." Sometimes my days go by so quickly that I do not take the time to truly focus on the "moments" as much as I would like.  Regardless, I always find a bright spot in each day, especially when I am in the field encouraging my people. They bring me joy, they give my life meaning, and I am so grateful to be of service to them.

"Each week, choose to experience something new; do something that you have not done before. New experiences offer new possibilities and opportunities for growth."

Tonight I find that my imagination has grown too weary to think about this practice. At the moment  my brain is too overloaded with my day-to-day work which consumes far too much of my life. But I think the exercises posed are beneficial in achieving peace by letting go, finding balance, and expressing gratitude.

For tonight I close this writing with this:



No comments:

Post a Comment