Saturday, January 31, 2015

Day 30 - Write Your Name

Live for something....
Write your name in kindness,
love, and mercy on the
hearts of thousands you
come in contact with....
You will never be forgotten.

Thomas Chalmers
Friday morning I awakened to fresh snow falling, and I was so filled with childlike wonder.  I had prayed we'd get a nice blanket of snow, without the hazards posed on roadways, and God had answered my prayer. I still haven't gotten outside to take a brisk walk or build my snowman, but I watched with imagination as flakes continue to fall the greater part of the day.

I had an extremely busy day in my home office playing catch up as I generally do on office days. It seems as if office days are written on the wind as these are the times, especially on late Friday afternoon,s when the phone rings off the hook. I have more than one phone, so it can get pretty loud when they are all ringing at the same time along with call waiting bleeping in your ear.  And so it was yesterday.  So it seems to be every day as of late.

I worked well into the night, so when I finally decided to call it quits it was a little past 9 pm.  Pretty long work day for me, and I was exhausted. I could no longer keep my eyes open, hence the delay in posting Day 30.

Throughout the day many thoughts go through my head about quiet times and things I've read and been ruminating.  I listen to Christian music playing softly in the background while I work, so the words are always in the air reminding me, keeping my thoughts focused on the Lord.  I am after all in His service, daily called to do His will.

I speak with many people on a day to day basis, and it staggers my imagination when I even begin to think of how many wonderful souls God has brought into my path over these sixty-four years of my existence. These years are but a breath to God, yet when I recall the opportunities I've had to be His hands and feet in action I feel so remorseful that I may have shown someone anything less than kindness and love.  I am here to represent Him, not myself, as I fail miserably as all humans.

So many dear ones I've known and have come to love have gone on to eternity, and I miss them so. As I am driving down any road, any direction in this vast region of Northern New Mexico I recall the faces, voices and mannerisms of those who have gone before me. Those whose lives I have touched, hopefully for good.  I remember the last time I spoke with them, the laughter, the tears and longings, and even the joy of sharing His love and purpose for their lives.  I have received calls from family members asking me to come to be by their sides when their loved one, my beloved ones, are fading away. I've received calls from more than one person as they are breathing their last breaths, only to learn later when I try to return the call that I am too late. I may never know why they were calling me, but I pray it was to say "see you later."

The quotation above causes me to pause and reflect about my life and the people I encounter, friends, and family.  Regardless of how I am treated, whether well or badly, I pray that I have responded in love, kindness, and caring. I don't want to be remembered by anyone for anything other than that I really cared about their welfare and that my face shined with the love of Jesus. My whole purpose, as is your purpose, is to shine the light of Christ's love each day, bringing hope into the seemingly hopelessness of life's situations, extending a hand of friendship to one who needs someone to walk with them, taking the time to smile at a stranger or say "good morning." It's not so hard to do, and it is so rewarding. 

My heart breaks when I am accused of not caring about a person, especially a family member who hatefully shouts obscenities or hurls insults into my face repeatedly when life isn't going as they planned. It's easy to take our feelings, hurts, regrets out on those we love the most, but it is a terrible waste of our good time on this earth. And although words can never be taken back, I am finding that they cause me less hurt now. Thankfully God has given me so much love and compassion for people, that although it stings, I forgive easily. As it should be, and as I want it to be.

Mark Twain wrote these words, "Forgiveness is the fragrance that the violet sheds on the heel that has crushed it."

My prayer for my life and my encounter with others along life's pathway is simply reflected in the words of Paul in Colossians 3:12-15:

"Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved,
clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness,
and patience. Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances
you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 
And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in
perfect unity. Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members
of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful."

  These 15 Insanely Enormous Dogs Remind Us That Beauty Can Come With Lots Of Slobber

 



No comments:

Post a Comment