Sunday, January 4, 2015

Day 4 - Living in the Moment



"Any day is a good day to praise the Lord!"  As I began to write, the lyrics of that melody came to mind.  Each day is a chance to start anew, forget the past, and move on. Many times we get so bogged down in the what ifs and why nots that we fail to see what is right before our eyes. We become so busy or preoccupied with things we cannot control that we miss the most important things and the people who mean the most. 

In my attempt to make "project gratitude" my focus for the new year, I have been reading a book by Angeles Arrien called "Living in Gratitude."  The title to the January chapter is "Begin Anew."  One of the questions posed for reflection is:  "What do you appreciate today that has roots in the past?

Reflection can be a good thing as you recall ways to make your life better, more creative, and responsive to the needs of others. In trying to comfort others I reflect back to my times of inner turmoil, and I can glean from my experiences what helped me cope.  Generally it's the simple things, and sometimes silence speaks the loudest.

When I think about the question posed above, "What do you appreciate today that has roots in the past?" I can hear my mother's voice speaking to me so clearly, and I smile remembering her influences in my life.  She is the one who stirred up gifts within me nourishing my creative mind and spirit. She is the one who wiped my tears and taught me to pray. I am so grateful for my mother's example which has lasted me a lifetime.

As I enter into this year it is my prayer that I can be used to encourage someone to see their own gifts and help fan the flames of new discovery.  As my mother guided me, so I purpose to be a positive influence in the life of another.  I want to "pay forward" the passion to dream.  For this gift I am truly grateful, as it gives hope for the future.


Starting today... Sign up on PlaceboEffect.com to set a goal. We'll motivate you and track your progress along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment