Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Day 63 - Act Justly, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly

My reading takes me to Joshua, a tale of victory and God's special favor after a long period of grumbling, complaining, disobedience, and walking in the wilderness. Today the land is being divided up into parcels, and Caleb has received the land God promised him for his faithfulness and trust in Him. Caleb humbly says, "I wholeheartedly followed the Lord my God.... Now, as you can see, the Lord has kept me alive and well as he promised for all these forty-five years" Joshua 14:8, 10

My Daily Walk proposes: "Consider how you might be able to brag a little about the Lord. Think of one way God has shown himself strong on your behalf over the past week, and tell a friend or loved one about it today. Then you'll be doing what Caleb, the soldier (and David, the psalmist) loved to do so much: "I will boast only in the Lord" (Psalm 34:2)

The Insight goes on to say: Joshua 13:1, 13 point to Israel's shortcomings in taking the land of promise. Yet Judges 3:1-2 attributes the untaken land to God, who left some enemies so future generations could learn God's principles of war and faith. It is one of many biblical examples of God's sovereignty redeeming human failure for his purposes."

As we see so clearly from scriptures God uses troubles to perfect us and encourage us to put our trust in Him. On many occasions I have mentioned that all He asks of us, of me, is to trust Him. How can we not trust Him based on the love He so clearly demonstrates to us daily. The way He meets our needs. We may not have what we want, but He always provides for our needs.

As I reflected on the readings, His goodness and mercy, and His wonderful love, I began to write in my journal these words, "In spite of our failures and weakness, our not heeding You or asking You, You still go before us,  use us, teach us, grow us up thru adversity."  I quieted my soul, and I heard these words:

"Be strong and courageous for I have given your enemies over to you. Follow My commands and stand strong in the light, strength, power of My word, and you shall see victory. Walk humbly, speak gracefully, as I have commanded you. Yes, You heard me speak, and, yes, I will fulfill my promise to you. Trust Me. Will you please trust Me and rest in the promises. Listen for My still small voice in the midst of the turmoil, in the midst of the "noise." I have placed you there for a purpose. That has not yet come to completion, to fruition. Trust Me. your labor is not in vain. Be strong and courageous, 'fore even your enemies will be at peace with you. Your ways are pleasing to My heart, speech seasoned with salt, My child. With salt, not anger. Pray, Ask. Seek. Knock. Listen. Obey. Is this so hard? Is My arm shortened that I cannot save? Listen to Me, My child, I see your suffering and I have a future, a hope, and a plan. Do not look to the left or the right. Focus on my truth, My way, My life. Light flows thru darkness and opens the way. The dawn breaks with welcoming sun. Enter in and stand strong awaiting My command 'fore I will surely show you the way - the path. The future I have for you. It will not be easy, but go, stand, and I will bring you victory. 'Fore victory is sure, the path is straight, the way narrow. Look to Me, not man, for answers. Obey only Me."

And the reassuring words were heard: "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me." John 14: 1

This is not the first time I have heard Him speak so clearly to me, and I pray it is not the last. My soul rejoices, yet my heart breaks knowing that others will suffer because of me. How can I endure this, Lord? Please bring an end to the suffering.

A woman I know who once vibrant and independent, now battles deterioration of her health, yet she always rejoicing. Word came to me this morning that she is in the hospital in critical condition while doctors fight to save her life. Others are struggling beneath the threats of sickness, disease, chronic pain, as well as memories, broken lives, and untold heartaches. We must remain strong, pick up our cross, and follow Him. Can you do that today? 

No comments:

Post a Comment