Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Day 76 - Life Song

" When the Son of man returns...will He find faith."
Luke 18:8


In Luke 8 Jesus tells the story of the widow who goes before a judge who does not care what man or God thinks, a man who served only self. The widow goes before him many times requesting judgment against her adversaries, and because of this persistence the judge finally tires of this nagging old woman and grants her plea. Her persistence paid off!

Jesus used parables to teach the people about the Kingdom of God and the lifestyle of faith needed to stand against the wiles of satan and to press in and on trusting in God to do what is to man impossible. In Max Lucado's book, No Wonder They Call Him Savior, he writes: "We, like Thomas, find it hard to believe that God can do the very thing that He is best at; replacing death with life. Our infertile imaginations bear little hope that the impossible will occur. We then, like Thomas, let our dreams fall victim to doubt. We make the same mistake that Thomas made: we forget that 'impossible' is one of God's favorite words."

Each day we are faced with opportunities to praise God for His faithfulness to a world where the word "faith" becomes a cliche spoken to suggest that we have it all together because we label ourselves as Christians, followers of Christ, when that just is not so. Our purpose as Christians is to grow in His grace and mercy, drawing nigh to Him, learning His ways, growing in obedience, and being conformed not to the world, but to Christ Himself, who transforms our character so we can become like Him. 

As we desire to become more like Him our lives suddenly become a paradox as we come weak kneed before our Savior yet again doubting He can do what no one else can.  We become impatient, fearful, over-zealous with misplaced confidence, and waiting becomes too difficult when the results we expect do not come to us in the time we expect. We grow weary in well-doing, and we faint, or we decide to make it happen on our own. 

Rather than stand in prayer, waiting before the Lord, we begin to grumble and complain or criticize what others are either doing or not doing. We are a people who are tossed to and fro, listening to wrong counsel, desiring to listen to man's rather than God's voice. We become judgmental of fellow Christians who do not follow the flow, not understanding that everyone is not called to do a certain thing, or to serve in certain ministries. That each gift is unique and operates as part of the whole body. We each have our gifts and callings, but rather than allow each person to listen to God, we immediately feel betrayed as if we are the only one who does everything. Like Martha wanting Jesus to reprimand Mary for sitting around while she anxiously rushed around tending to everyone's needs. The Bible says Mary chose the better way, to sit at the feet of Jesus, obedient to His call on her life at that moment in time.

In 1 Samuel 13 Saul as the newly anointed King of Israel learned very well what it meant to rush ahead of God, not trusting His timetable. His impatience in not waiting on God lost him and his family the future God had destined for him. So it is with us. If you want to know how God feels about disobedience listen to the words of Samuel the prophet:

"What is more pleasing to the Lord: your burnt offerings
and sacrifices or your obedience to his voice? Listen!
 Obedience is better than sacrifice, and submission
is better than offering the fat of rams. Rebellion
is as sinful as witchcraft, and stubbornness
as bad as worshiping idols."

1 Samuel 15:22-23

God likens our disobedience as that of witchcraft,  of serving idols, as not trusting Him as the true and only King. We do it "our way" not caring to seek the Author and Finisher of our faith. We are all guilty of this sin of impatience, and yet if we humble ourselves, and boldly approach the throne of grace, He will hear us, see our hearts with eyes of compassion, and restore our lives.

My fear is that in my not wanting to fail God again I may not "see" or "hear" what He wants me to do. But fear is not of God, and it is the opposite of faith, when God clearly tells us that if we are truly seeking His will, we will find it. 

In the past few weeks I have been striving with God about things over which I have no control. If things effect my life it is not nearly as horrible to me as it is when innocent ones become victims of  apathy and neglect. Sometimes I think I care too deeply, as I become angry, and anger is not God's way, and it is not trust. He is the vindicator, not man. So until I learn this lesson, as with any other in life, I will find myself repeatedly being put to the test by the enemy who seeks to confuse me. Monday morning, the beginning of this week, began with peace in my heart, as I once more wait to see His righteous hand at work. Today as I devote my time to attuning my ear to the voice of God, things start to happen to steal my peace and rest. Yet, I alone am in control of what I allow in my life, so I made the choice to turn off all the voices and noise around me and focus only on what can uplift and strengthen my soul and spirit. I made a conscious choice of obedience, of trusting Him over man.

At the last Bible study in my home last Friday I asked my fellow ragamuffins and misfit toys to write what they wanted to be their "life song." What would it say? So in closing here is what I desire to be my life song:


Lord, I want to be found faithful when all around me seems hopeless and impossible. I want my life to be a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to You. I want You to be the air I breathe, rather than the stale air of conformity.

That I trusted You alone when my faith was put to the test or others judged me harshly for putting my faith and trust in what I could not see with my eyes or touch with my hands. That I continued to stand on the promises You spoke me regardless.

I pray that rather than the words that I speak, others see You in the life that I lead, and in turn put their trust in You to save them. That I clothed myself with garments of praise, showing love and compassion to those in need, offering hope in the message of the cross.

I want You to know that Your words are life to me, and I waited patiently, never rushing ahead of Your timetable for my life. I knew You were in control and that nothing could separate me from Your love.

I want You to know that if satan approached You as he did in the days of Job that You could say, "Consider my servant, Linda, who obeys my commands, who is righteous in all her ways." 

I want You to know that I knew You loved me and that You were more than enough. That You called me friend. I am Your beloved one, Your bride.

I want with all my heart to hear You say to me, "Enter in my good and faithful servant. I've been waiting for you."


I fall so short.

Life Song
by 
Casting Crowns

Empty hands held high
Such small sacrifice
If not joined with my life
I sing in vain tonight

May the words I say
And the things I do
Make my lifesong sing
Bring a smile to You

Let my lifesong sing to You
Let my lifesong sing to You
I want to sign Your name
To the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to You

Lord, I give my life
A living sacrifice
To reach a world in need
To be Your hands and feet

So may the words I say
And the things I do
Make my lifesong sing
Bring a smile to You

Let my lifesong sing to You
Let my lifesong sing to You
I want to sign Your name
To the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to You

Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
Let my lifesong sing to You
Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
Let my lifesong sing to You
Hallelujah, Hallelujah,
Let my lifesong sing to You

Let my lifesong sing to You
Let my lifesong sing to You
I want to sign Your name
To the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to You

Let my lifesong sing to You
Let my lifesong sing to You
I want to sign Your name
To the end of this day
Knowing that my heart was true
Let my lifesong sing to You

Praise and worship breaks through all boundaries of talent and ...




No comments:

Post a Comment