Sunday, March 8, 2015

Day 67 - Pruning



Waking up was a bit of a push this morning as I dragged out of bed into the shower to get ready for church by 9 am. Thankfully I arrived at church on time, and the visiting pastor presented a timely message and a candid testimony.  I love transparency, as it opens the way for "coming as you are" which is the focus for my Friday night studies of the Ragamuffin Gospel. No pretense found there, and we most assuredly come as we are.

After church and Sunday School I returned home to an afternoon of completing In Christ's Image course work. The topics encouraged another look into my heart concerning the things God is allowing to encourage my growth into a life hidden in Christ. I am grateful for these times of quiet introspection and the gentle nudge of the Holy Spirit perfecting me. Much like a rose bush our characters need to be pruned, so we can develop and bear fruit.  Just as the pruning of a rose bush is not an easy task or a painless one, it is a necessity if roses are to develop full, beautiful blossoms and strong branches, nourished by the roots grounded in life-bearing soil. So pruning our attitudes, predispositions, and thoughts lead hopefully to transformation and productive lives God can use in building His kingdom and carrying out his work. Seems I have several resistant branches on my tree that require the precise severing away of all that impedes my growth, but I am thankful God thinks I am worth the effort. He loves us so much that He becomes tenacious in giving us every opportunity to grow and follow the straight and narrow way.

Hopefully this week will present new opportunities to let my light shine and produce good fruit. Just maybe I won't need as much trimming this week; perhaps I'll "pass the test" and move on to the next stage of humility. Praise God for His incredible love and faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment