8/28/2026
"Laughter is your soul dancing."
Unknown
My mini-vacation last week was short-lived, so I made a decision to spend a little more time doing some fun things with friends just to give myself a breather. My lifestyle is pretty intense, but that's the way things go in this season of life. I have been getting out every so often visiting relatives when we can track them down, going shopping with my sister or planning my next major repair for our parent's home - now my home - and every so often my high school friends get together for lunch. Other than that, attending funerals has been high on the list of things to do. Not a happy option!
Since my life has not adjusted back to where it initially was a year ago, I haven't been able to work with Dolls on Mission painting faces for the dolls, and I gave up attempting to knit, so my community activity has been a bit null and void. My friend, Kathy, and her sister Diane are always inviting me to get out, so I decided that I'd help them with the Chesterfield County Fair working in the art department this year. A couple of years ago I helped with the arts and crafts at the Fair, and we really had a great time, so I thought - "I can do this!" So today we started out early and spent most of the day at the fairgrounds.
When we arrived one of the judges was already waiting to judge the entries, but two judges are needed for each department, but shortly the second judge arrived. The girls had worked the previous evening when the entries were brought in, so all the art work was displayed on the lattice board ready for judging. Since the art work has to be judged by category and by age, my job was to get the pieces in order, which turned out to be a considerable undertaking. I tend to be very detail oriented and hands on, so once all the entries were off the wall, I was able to arrange them categorically by number, while Kathy and Diane had the fun job of filling out the documentation as each piece was judged by age, in the proper category. The judges had the option to change the category if they felt it had not been assigned correctly - medium used to produce the art, for instance. Once judged, blue, red, or white ribbons were attached and the art work was once again placed on the wall for display. There was also the Best in the Show category to be selected. All the artists performed well, so the judges had a very difficult task assigning each award.
I spent most of my time on the floor, arranging the art into the categories, then lining them up on the table for judging by category. As we went about the exercise routines of climbing up in a chair to either remove or re-hang the art, we were mentally trying to plan for next year, that is if there is a next year! We had to laugh, because when they left on Thursday evening, they felt they were organized and ready for today, but new forms were printed, which started the process of starting over from scratch. Although it may have been confusing at times and extremely vigorous on my end with the floor routines and for all of us climbing on tottering chairs, stretching to reach high to hang the art, we all had a lot of fun.
All volunteers were provided with lunch, with three main choices and two desserts, plus this year there were donuts provided by the workers. Since I'm not able to eat gluten I couldn't risk eating the donut, so I took it home to my son to enjoy. We had quite a trek from the building we were in to the lunch wagon on the other side of the fair, unless of course, we jumped over fences and wove in and out of rides and exhibits being put up for the opening night of the Fair. There are tables set up in the area with condiments available, but they were not in packets within the bags. Additional items to put on our "Things to bring next year list." After making the hike, getting turned around in all the exhibits, I came back empty handed as no salt or ketchup packets were available outside of the area. Later at home, I found salt packets in my purse, but I won't mention that to the gals who suffered eating French fries without salt. Ugh.
Sadly, one of the ladies I met a previous year, who worked with the Fairs in the 4H area, passed away earlier this year, so it added a sad note to the day. I remember her so well, as she truly inspired me to continue my education, regardless of my age, and to continue my art. Unfortunately, I didn't see her again, and I didn't follow through with my plans. I really regret that, and it's something I've thought about a lot recently. The brevity of time, nurturing relationships, and using the gifts God has given me.
The majority of my life I have been very active in community, schools, church, and family. I've been blessed to travel an unexpected journey, and I have used a great many gifts and skills that God has given me. I never thought about myself as being talented or gifted, I just had fun helping, planning, creating, working, and encouraging others to do the same. This includes the gift of intercession, because I used to pray when I walked my dogs or when I ran after them in the woods and mountains, enjoying nature, laughing, worshiping God enjoying His Creation. A few years ago my life changed, and I've been adjusting slowing to this new season of my life. I no longer have dogs, but I am now a cat lady, another change in my life. Today was a good beginning of another bend in the road, and I hope I can encourage myself to keep it going.
I've been behind in my daily writing, but I'm finding that I do get it done. The thoughts are on paper, and it just takes time to read the scribbling, decipher my meaning, and type it out. But I'm doing it, and I'm remaining faithful to that part of my calling. All in all I think everything will be alright. I just need to learn to let go of some things and just breathe!
No comments:
Post a Comment