Saturday, March 1, 2014

Day 1 - Godly Perspective

"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right,
 whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -
think on these things."

Philippians 4:8 (NIV)



The Biblical reference noted today is one I have en-grafted on my heart, trusting that in times of doubt, fear, seeming hopelessness and helplessness, I can choose to think of my circumstances or those of others around me, or I can focus on the things that bring honor to God through praise on my lips.  

Today as I began my walk through the book of Joshua I am given a monthly challenge to think about ways God is preparing me today for what will happen tomorrow.  Yesterday in my daily reading as the book of Deuteronomy ended, Moses died and Joshua was named to be his successor.  If you are a Bible scholar you may recall that Moses led the children of Israel out of Egypt under amazing circumstances and displays of God's power,  en route to the promised land given to Abraham's ancestors.  Once God brought them to the edge of Canaan the people rebelled and had to wander in the wilderness for 40 years until all the older generations of those who sinned through disbelief had died.  The only two exceptions were Caleb and Joshua.  Even Moses was not allowed to enter the promised land, because he became angry at the people and did not do what God instructed him to do.  So Moses is taken to the top of Mount Nebo where God allows him to see the land of Canaan before he dies.

In trying to see how God is preparing me, working in my life today to prepare me for tomorrow, I am beginning to understand the reason behind His words "Do you trust Me? with more clarity.  Joshua was preparing his army for battle to cross over into  the land of promise and destroy the enemy's strongholds in that land.  And what does God say to him?  Be strong and courageous!  Do not look at the circumstances trust only in Me.  What we see with our natural eyes can be overwhelming, but in the spiritual perspective the victory has been won.  "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love Him."  (Isaiah 64:4)

I don't think there has been a day in the past two years of this adventure that I haven't testified to someone about how amazing my life has been, because God has so miraculously kept me in every circumstance of my life.  I have weathered some pretty intense storms since my move here to New Mexico in 1987, but true to His word, God has never forsaken or abandoned me.  People have, but God, never.  God never promised us an easy life as His child, but He did promise to always be there.  

At this moment I am faced with life and death issues, but I have purposed in my heart to stand still and see the victory of God.  Throughout all these years the enemy has tried to beat me down on every side, knowing my vulnerable area is where my children are involved.  The devices he uses are not new to me, but my response is critical.  I have chosen to stand, be strong and courageous, like Joshua, and know the battle is the Lord's and the victory is assured.  

Like Joshua, as he prepares his heart for battle, I seek the Lord's direction in thanksgiving for Who He is and what He has already done,  as I ready myself in prayer.

For now I leave you with these words spoken to Joshua as he knelt before the Commander-in-Chief of the Lord's Army, "Take off your shoes, for you are standing on holy ground."

No comments:

Post a Comment