Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Day 11 - Oh Happy Day

The joy of the Lord is your strength.
Nehemiah 8:10


As time draws near to the Lord's imminent return the enemy is making the most of his time by assigning discouragement, confusion and a myriad of other demonic spirits into our lives to wreak havoc wherever he can.  Even if you are not being threatened on every side you most likely know someone else who has more than a full plate.  Just read or listen to the news.  Tragedy at every turn of the page or dial of the knob.  Where do you go, where do you turn to escape?

Sunday our lay pastor talked about being happy and how research about happiness revealed that happy people lived longer, did not get sick, and on and on.  We were asked if we were happy.  I don't really have to think about that question very intently, because I am a happy person the majority of the time. If I am unhappy it doesn't take me long to get "up" again, because  I am able to laugh at myself.  Mainly I snap back very quickly, because I am not as attached to things as most people tend to be. My life is pretty simple as far as possessions go, and I prefer it that way.  I remember my mother gave me a cross stitch saying that read, "Happiness depends on ourselves."  Every time I dusted it I'd think about those words.  What most people don't really understand is that there is a difference between being happy and having joy.  Happiness is an emotion, and true to the cross stitch, it does depend on us, as we define what makes our lives happy, whether it is money, possessions, status, relationships, and other things.  But joy is part of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22).  A gift that comes only from a relationship with Jesus as Lord.  The joy of the Lord can exist even in the worst of times, because joy has to do with trusting God's word regardless of what is happening in your natural life.  It has to do with faith.  At least that's my view on things.

I must admit that the concept can be bitter sweet at times. This evening I was faced with one of these bitter- sweet moments.  On the one side my heart was breaking, but on the other, relieved.  After a good cry I felt better, and although it is a serious situation, trusting the Lord was never an issue.  Not having the joy of the Lord as my strength didn't come to mind.  Point is because of my relationship with Jesus, knowing when I am weak, He is strong, and I am able to stand unwavering in my faith, joyful.
,
Tomorrow things will become clearer, and decisions will be made.  But that's another day, and tonight is now.


No comments:

Post a Comment