Saturday, March 15, 2014

Day 14 - Words

Do not go where the path may lead
go instead where there
is no path and 
leave a trail
 Ralph Waldo Emerson

Words are very important.  We are surrounded by words - those spoken directly or indirectly, the written page, even the thought processes contain words which bring hope, despair, build up or break down.  I have always been an avid student of literature, enjoying the prose and poetry of each age depicted in literature.  I spend most of my non-working life in my bedroom surrounded by words framed artfully on my walls.  Words that speak of my beliefs, my dreams, my fantasies, words which define "me".  Words like:

Hope sees the invisible,
Feels the intangible,
and achieves the impossible.


 Laugh as much as you breathe:
Love as long as you live.


 Trust n the Lord with all your heart
and lean not unto your own understanding...
In all your ways acknowledge Him.
He will direct your path.


  Faith is being sure of
what you hope for
and certain of what you do not see.
-Hebrews 11:1

  Family
began when
God created me.
Genesis 2:11

 Friends
a friend loves
at all times.
Proverbs 17:17


Though my path may wander up and down
My heart will stay in my home town.


A true friend is a teddy...


Nothing rears apart a friendship from the heart.


A friend knows the song in my heart
and sings it to me when my memory fails.


Each captured phrase speaks to a part of what make me who I am.  I try to surround myself with positive, encouraging, and challenging sentiments.  There's a song that says...."Words can build you up, words can bring you down..."  So much truth in those lyrics.  Sometimes we say things without thinking, and regardless of how many times we beg forgiveness or try to make up for it, these words are forever etched into the recesses of our minds.  The effect can last a lifetime if we allow it to do so.  When I was a child in grade school a teacher took me aside one day, and she made a comment that changed my life.  Over time I have proven the erroneous misconception she had of my intellect, and achieved more than most in my simple way of thinking.  Whereas I do not believe this kindly teacher meant me harm, she did not stop to think about the hurt these words could bring to a 10 years old child.  And although I quickly forgave, I could never forget.  

Words do matter.  Choose them carefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment