Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Day 133 - Hope in God

Lift up your eyes. The heavenly Father
waits to bless you - in inconceivable
ways to make your life what you
never dreamed it could be.
Anne Ortlund


Waiting on God to reveal His plans is often difficult for me, not because I don't trust Him, but I become impatient. I look at my age, and my situation, or better put, my lifestyle, and I begin to compare it to those my age who are living the dream, or rather, appearing to do so. I marvel at my life, and the things that God has done for me, in spite of myself, and I know He's with me always. He has directed my life in ways I could never have imagined. He has introduced me to people of many origins and descents who have the same values and hopes as I. I believe in divine appointments, and I know my steps are ordered by Him.
Still in trying to be patient and persevering I seem to buckle under the slightest miscalculation, and once more my soul becomes disquieted, and my immediate path uncertain. I have been striving over the past year to become more like Jesus in my thoughts, interpretations, focus on all things, but I feel so far from having a character like Christ. In Christ's Image Training has re-introduced me to men and women whose lives have been tested, tried, and purified by fire, as well as some I was not familiar with personally, but whose writings I did know. Amazing walks of faith and personal testimonies of the greatness of our God. People who are not afraid to humble themselves and be transparent about their feelings, lack of faith at times, and need for direction and miracles.

In this morning's Daily Walk in the section marked "My Daily Walk" this thought is posed:

"Do you believe in prayer? Esther believed in prayer enough to go before the king at an unappointed time with an unlikely request, though it could have meant swift death (Esther 4:11, 16; 5:2). Would you have done that?

The story is told of a midwestern town suffering under a searing drought.  All the townspeople finally decided it was time to gather the clergy and assemble for prayer. The whole town turned out to pray for rain - but only one person, a small girl, brought her umbrella.

When you pray, are you like the townspeople or the little girl? Do you like Esther, pray first and then live in the confidence of God's answer? Are your prayers specific enough that, when God answers, you notice a difference? In the margin write down a a specific request for provision, protection or guidance. For the next week focus your prayers on that item. You might even want to put your umbrella in an unusual place to remind you throughout the week to watch for God's answer!"

This is a faithful reminder to me from a loving Friend that He has not forgotten me, and His promise that He does hear my heart cries. I admit sometimes, many times lately, my prayers for direction have been weak and feeble, and my hope dim. Lord, forgive me, and help my unbelief.

As I go off today to attend to mundane tasks it is my desire that I would do so with a new spring in my step and lift of my hope expecting a miracle of faith today. May I encounter a new direction to my life and a reassurance of God's great hand upon me and His unfailing love for all that concerns me. That includes prayers not just for myself, but my prayers for you, my friends! May the Lord bless you continuously!

Hope-full

No comments:

Post a Comment