Sunday, May 10, 2015

Day 126 – Safe in His Arms



“Hold fast your dreams! Within your heart keep one still,
Secret spot where dreams may go. And, sheltered so,
May thrive and grow.”
Louise Driscoll

E.M. Bounds said, “The possibilities of prayer run parallel with the promises of God. Prayer opens an outlet for the promises…and secures their precious ends.”  If you are not familiar with the works of E.M. Bounds, he was a mighty man of God and a truthful witness in his books on prayer. He’s right up there with other late greats – Andrew Murray, Brother Lawrence, Oswald Chambers and Watchman Nee. If you are serious about your personal walk and relationship with Jesus, I heartily recommend the writings of these men of God along with the modern day companionship of the writings of Francis Frangipane from River of Life Ministries.

I pack heavily when I travel, and I always bring along a few treasured friends to keep my mind focused on the point of my retreat. This time I packed only a couple of things as I wanted to listen more than read. Of course I brought my Daily Walk Bible I am using for my annual pilgrimage through Biblical history. I also brought my beloved study Bible, tapes from In Christ’s Image Session 2 to soothe my spirit, praise music, my journal, and my worn out copy of The Ragamuffin Gospel so I can prepare my final lesson. Thus far, I’ve been journaling, but today I decided to put my blogs from Tuesday and Wednesday down in print, so I could send them along to my readers upon my return to civilization and the comforts of home. Being at a place where there is limited cell service and no internet reception does keep one’s mind in the right perspective. Likewise, I limit my diet to a few chosen foods to keep things simple. After all I did not take off work to come to a place of solitude to dine out or cook a feast, and lie around eating chocolates!  Hmmm, I am making a mental note to check out the lodge gift shop to see if they are still making fudge. 

Today I had less lofty plans than buckling down to consider why I came here, as I had previously scheduled a doctor’s appointment, and it was necessary to attend. Also, I met two friends who love to haul me out of the house, and we had a simple meal at The Sopapilla Factory in Pojoaque. The atmosphere was nice, staff respectful and attentive, and the food appealing visually and to the taste buds. We had a few laughs, shared a few woes, but we left feeling uplifted by the companionship found in our mutual love and concern for each other.

It was a long day, and I was in pain, so I decided to write a few inspired notes, then head off to an early rest for the night. I felt peaceful in the morning scripture readings, my daily encourager, and the other inspirational literature I had consumed hungrily that morning before I headed off to meet my friends. I like to surround myself with reminders of God’s promises whether found in the Psalms, my 365 Day Brighter, or my Daily Calendar with inspirational reminders.  My office at home has bulletins boards with posts that are fun and uplifting, splattered with memorabilia.  I post scripture on my computer monitor to remind me to choose my words carefully and to remind me to “breathe, blink, take 5” and praise God. I just purchased a canvas of Snoopy and Woodstock which I placed on the wall I face so I remember to smile and not take life so seriously all the time. I am taking these steps to create a happy atmosphere in which to work, as I spend literal hours and whole days accompanied by long nights sitting in front of the computer, in an extremely, extremely stressful to the nth degree job.  You mathematicians will be able to identify how extreme my extremely means! But, it is a rewarding adventure into the mundane and insane life I live. Truth is, I HAVE NO LIFE! But, yes, but, until I decide to change my life, it is my choice, and I feel satisfied when I am able to help even one person each day.

How do you spend your time? Do you feel that it is well spent? If you could change it, would you? And if so, how? These are the life questions with which I am faced. To which we all are faced if we are honest. Life can be hard, and I admit openly that I am very much in need of change, whether it is a tangible change in career choice or simply starting over in a new place. 

I’m glad I don’t have to think about it today. I’m happy to be able to let go and listen, so I will be able to clearly hear the answer when it arrives. I have felt like I am being drawn and quartered, without the sweet reward of a taffy pull. I became unglued, and I lost all composure last Sunday afternoon, so with the counsel of a close friend, who finds herself, interestingly enough, in a similar boat as I, I decided to escape. And that is where I am today…escaping what is, thinking about what is to be.  Choices.  Listening to the only voice I need to hear, resting in His Presence.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment